Stuck key

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Alex W
B6
Passat model: B6 2.0 TFSI

Stuck key

Post by Alex W » Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi folks, not posted in a while. Today I had the cambelt changed and when I came to pick it up he said the ring on my key had broke, the plastic part had snapped - not bother I though but a bit annoying. I do have a spare.

So I drove off but noticed the key seemed a bit rough when I pushed it in and took it out. Later when I left work I couldn’t get the key in at all, something is holding it back. Eventually I figured out if I put my finger in the slot it’s possible to press the inner part of the ignition inwards and then the key can be put in and the car will start. Removing the key is another issue but can take taken out by moving it from side to side etc.

Any idea what this is likely to be? It’s a 2009 TFSI model. Thanks.
Team HEKO wind deflectors
5000k HID's

Alex W
B6

Re: Stuck key

Post by Alex W » Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 am

I'm staggered at ALL the responses to this! :mrgreen:

I 'appear' to have fixed this issue. It seemed more of a mechanical fault than some sort of electric gremlin. I ended up spraying some WD40 inside the ignition slot. This didn't sit too well with me but having found a similar thread on another forum I decided to give it a go. I worked the inner 'sleeve' backwards and forwards and after a few minutes the key was going in and out with ease. I tried it this morning and its still all good. I suspect it was jammed up with dust/bum fluff etc.
5000k HID's

1.9Tdi
B4

Post by 1.9Tdi » Fri May 18, 2018 11:56 am

You can use graphite lock lubricant which is made for the job, either carried in an aerosol or just a graphite powder (a bit more messy).

Alex W
B6

Post by Alex W » Fri May 18, 2018 2:49 pm

I agree, I think that would have been the best bet but WD40 is all I had. I might invest in something more appropriate and give it a spay once a year or so.
5000k HID's