Boot full of water.

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Holophyte
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B6

Boot full of water.

Post by Holophyte » Fri May 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi. Not sure what this is. Opened boot, pulled up carpet to get to spare tyre and the base was full of water. It’s not wet anywhere else, head of boot dry, sides of boot dry. I had to bale it out like a sinking ship and mop the rest up. Any ideas what it could be? Just a few photos of possible locations. Thanks in advance! ImageImageImage
Sent via my iPhone whilst travelling at 70MPH on the motorway!

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Re: Boot full of water.

Post by Gazwould » Fri May 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Long time no hear Pete , howz it going ?

Lock one of the kids in the boot with a torch and wash the car .

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.52 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

mrderv
B1
Passat model: B7

Post by mrderv » Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Gazwould wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:45 pm
Long time no hear Pete , howz it going ?

Lock one of the kids in the boot with a torch and wash the car .
Make sure they have a snorkel first
2013 VW Passat Sport BlueMotion Tech 2.0 TDI Stage 2 192-bhp 415-Nm

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:49 pm

It may be leaking where the wheel well bowl is bonded in or through the boot post or boot seals? Especially if you are parked at a particular front down angle where the water will sit in the rear boot channel possibly leaking down the posts and down inside. Was the carpet wet or just the bowl full of water?
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

jasimog
B3
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

Post by jasimog » Fri May 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Had exactly this. Under each round boot seal for the hinge arms there is a drain tube that channels water down to the wheel arch. One of mine was blocked, causing the boot to fill with water. I cleared it with a 12V tyre compressor and have had no problems since. The seals do perish and can be damaged on removal, so I replaced mine with new from the dealer - they are quite cheap, I think I paid about £6 each inc VAT.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, Eibach Pro springs, retrofit Autohold.

Holophyte
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Holophyte » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

DMitch16 wrote:It may be leaking where the wheel well bowl is bonded in or through the boot post or boot seals? Especially if you are parked at a particular front down angle where the water will sit in the rear boot channel possibly leaking down the posts and down inside. Was the carpet wet or just the bowl full of water?

Just the bowl. No where else is wet.

Holophyte
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Holophyte » Sat May 05, 2018 9:25 am

jasimog wrote:Had exactly this. Under each round boot seal for the hinge arms there is a drain tube that channels water down to the wheel arch. One of mine was blocked, causing the boot to fill with water. I cleared it with a 12V tyre compressor and have had no problems since. The seals do perish and can be damaged on removal, so I replaced mine with new from the dealer - they are quite cheap, I think I paid about £6 each inc VAT.
Hi Jaismog. Any chance you can show me where these drain tubes are? I couldn’t seem to locate any yesterday so I can check these.

2008tdihighline
B2

Post by 2008tdihighline » Sat May 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Worth removing the rubber around the boot hinges and cleaning all surfaces and cleaning out the drain tubes. This was my issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Holophyte
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Holophyte » Sat May 05, 2018 6:46 pm

2008tdihighline wrote:Worth removing the rubber around the boot hinges and cleaning all surfaces and cleaning out the drain tubes. This was my issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yeah. If I knew where the drain tubes are. You got a photo of this? Nothing on google or id look there. Thanks.

maclee
B6
Passat model: B3

Post by maclee » Sat May 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Item 17 on this diagram is called a 'water drainage hose', so I should think that is what you are looking for...
B6 boot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iainblue

Post by Iainblue » Sun May 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Had exactly the same issue. Turned out rubber seals round boot hinges had been moved. Cleaned them off wiped round actual hole and pushed back into place. No issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasimog
B3
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

Post by jasimog » Sun May 06, 2018 4:44 pm

maclee wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:55 pm
Item 17 on this diagram is called a 'water drainage hose', so I should think that is what you are looking for...

B6 boot.png
Yes, that's the one. The top of the tube sits just under the slit in the round seal on each side of the hinge arm. The seals should gently pull off, but the rubber does perish and it's a good idea to replace them.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, Eibach Pro springs, retrofit Autohold.

Holophyte
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Holophyte » Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 am

maclee wrote:Item 17 on this diagram is called a 'water drainage hose', so I should think that is what you are looking for...
B6 boot.png
Star man. Thank you. I’ll take a look.

Holophyte
UKPassat's Possie

Post by Holophyte » Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am

jasimog wrote:
maclee wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:55 pm

B6 boot.png
Yes, that's the one. The top of the tube sits just under the slit in the round seal on each side of the hinge arm. The seals should gently pull off, but the rubber does perish and it's a good idea to replace them.

Thanks Jaismog.....think I’ll do that. Go to the dealers and buy new ones, then remove the old & clean out the drainage tube.. thanks for your time in this matter.