B6 (CC) front end vibration, clunk/pop

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Kartman
B2
Passat model: B6 CC GT TDI 205

B6 (CC) front end vibration, clunk/pop

Post by Kartman »

Hi everyone, something is amiss on my CC front nearside that I cannot pinpoint and wondered if others had experienced similar (same as b6 front strut etc i believe).

It started as a mild vibration when cornering right at speed. This has recently got worse and the vibration is quite bad, it is almost as if as the tyre bites it transfers the energy to something else causing this hefty vibration that can be heard and also felt through the steering wheel. In a straight line a vibration can also be felt as if a wheel is out of balance.

The car is on 162k but around 50k miles ago I fitted KW v1 coilovers with brand new genuine top mounts and bearings.

In the last two days it has also started a clunking/popping sound when turning left at anything more than walking pace with a good turn of lock. Now I cannot replicate this with the car sitting still and turning/rocking the wheel etc. The popping sound to me sounds very much like a spring re-seating itself. All this is leading me to believe that my problem lies in the top mount.

Now I have jacked up the car several times and I cannot induce any place from the wheel bearing and I can basically hang off the strut and rock it and there seems no movement there either. Could the strut bearing still be bad even if I can't move it?

Or is there something obvious I am missing.

Many thanks,

Jordan

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login