EPB Fault

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

tyoung_89
Passat model: b6

EPB Fault

Post by tyoung_89 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 am

hoping someone can point me in the right direction. i put my b6 07 1.9tdi passat through an MOT and it failed on a warning light on the dash EPB fault along with both rear discs. i dont have the software to retract the calipers so i removed the calipers and found the motors werent in the best of shapes so i replaced them both. as i dont have the software to retract to calipers the correct way i did it manually and rebuilt both calipers. rebuilt it all back up with a new EPB Switch. both calipers and motors work as they should. to reset the EPB within the calipers i pressed the EPB switch to move the motors out to thier out position causing the handbrake to be applied. it all works how it should however i still have the fault on the dash. how do i remove this. i have tried manual resets (lots of different button press's and brake pedal) but that doesnt work

jasimog
B3
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

Re: EPB Fault

Post by jasimog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:16 pm

You need the right diagnostic tool to clear fault codes, typically VCDS, and this would have helped you do the calipers correctly in the first place. However, have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery? You might be lucky.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, clutch & DMF, Eibach Pro springs, retrofit Autohold.

tyoung_89

Post by tyoung_89 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:46 pm

yes try disconnecting / reconnencting battery. took it to my local dealer for a diagnostics and they managed to clear the fault so passed on the re-test however as soon as i got home put the EPB on the fault came back.

jasimog
B3
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

Post by jasimog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 pm

The dealer should have conducted a function test, which opens the EPB motors to the service position and then closes them 3 times in succession, leaving the motors in the optimum position to function correctly. It would really help to know what fault code is being stored - this has to come from a proper diagnostics tool and not just an OBD scanner.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, clutch & DMF, Eibach Pro springs, retrofit Autohold.

tyoung_89

Post by tyoung_89 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 pm

i did ask the dealer about the code and he said his machine said unrecognised fault code but did say he was going to contact the makers and VW for advise

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:24 pm

The trouble with these cars is that they are subject to voltage drops especially when jobs such as brake pad / disc changes are being performed on the rear motorised brake units. The correct way to do rear EPB brake jobs, as well as using appropriate software to retract the EPB brake screw inside the piston, is with a battery charger connected during the job to avoid voltage drops that can destroy the sensitive brake modules which are far from cheap.

The fact that you still have full EPB functionality is a promising sign however but you should get the car scanned for the relevant fault code. Also make sure you have the C revision button (3C0927225C) as the A and B revisions had integral faults. There are a few B revisions out there being advertised as a C revision (you get a B suffix part not a C however). Does the button illuminate when the EPB is applied?
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 pm

tyoung_89 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 pm
i did ask the dealer about the code and he said his machine said unrecognised fault code but did say he was going to contact the makers and VW for advise
Not an actual VW dealer then? All VW dealership VAS diagnostics machines will report and identify ALL codes stored in the ECU and will never have an unrecognised code therefore.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club