1.8TSI Engine issue

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Colspur66
Passat model: B6

1.8TSI Engine issue

Post by Colspur66 »

Hi folks. wonder if anyone can offer advice.

I have an 08 plate 1.8 Highline, When i bought it 3 years ago I was told it had just had the timing chain replaced at 113000 miles. Now 3 years later and
at 136000 miles I have the following problem. Took car to garage for annual service and MOT, during which an oil leak was found in the sump due to corrosion, and so I had sump replaced. (I regularly check oil and it had only been topped up once since previous mot and only needed probably less than half a litre). I got the car back and after driving just a few miles car felt lumpy and wouldn't idle smoothly and had message on the dashboard screen saying 'engine fault workshop' . I took car back and on investigation it appears that previously to my purchase the car had only had one of the three timing chains replaced. I was advised to have the chains and tensioners replaced and also a new oil pump. I had this done and the car is still not right. On start up from cold all appears fine. Car drives well no problems. However once it reaches full temperature it begins to idle unevenly gets noisy and the 'engine fault workshop' message reappears. The orange engine symbol warning light is permanently on now. Can anyone offer any suggestions what could be wrong.

Many thanks
Vince