Passat B6 2.0 TDI Sport (140PS) inlet manifold/turbo problem

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

UnkleMunkle
Passat model: B6

Passat B6 2.0 TDI Sport (140PS) inlet manifold/turbo problem

Post by UnkleMunkle »

Hi all,

My first post on here. We bought a Passat Estate 2.0 TDI Sport Estate (140PS) about 18 months ago. The car has covered approx 130,000 miles now.

I noticed some wet oil on top of the alternator - ie to the top-left of the engine by the cam cover.

The car has recently developed a very audible whirring/whistling sound - almost like a siren! Very audible outside the car and you can hear it inside when driving too - it increases with acceleration. We don't have an engine management light on.

The car recently had to have a new injector and a MAF due to an engine management light. This also gave a turbo boost pressure fault. My father-in-law is a mechanic so it's been looked at properly.

The oil leak has been identified as a broken part inside of the inlet manifold - to do with the swirl flaps/shaft and this is causing the oil leak. I would imagine this caused the turbo pressure engine management light issue too although I could be wrong.

The price of a plastic inlet manifold is vast (even second hand) as is a new turbo. I've read up on people replacing the plastic inlet manifold with an aluminium one. Would this solve our problem. Is it likely that the loud whistling/whirring sound is coming from the turbo or the leaky manifold? If we replace and fix things we only want to do it once. It would be a crying shame to invest in a new turbo if there is nothing wrong with it. Could it be coincidence that the inlet has caused the turbo to fail or is it likely to be one failed part over another?

All-in-all, we want to keep the car but don't want to be chasing our tails and spending a fortune on it!

Any advice, pointers, tips or suggestions on what to do would be great. We are still using the car at the moment but the loud whistling/whirring is not good - especially if this is the turbo. There is no loss of power and the car still pulls well.

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login