2008 Passat 2.0 tdi hose leak & whine noise on start up - RESOLVED

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

DaleB
still on the production line
Passat model: b6

2008 Passat 2.0 tdi hose leak & whine noise on start up - RESOLVED

Post by DaleB »

hose.jpg
Good morning all!!

Yesterday I joined the VW family and PX my 116 for a Passat, lovely car I must add, just one snag!
My car is a 2008 2.0 TDI sport - the garage just put a new turbo on it as it failed the MOT apparently

I don't know how to upload a photo on to here to explain so please bear with me.

So I left the garage, travelled 30 odd miles home nice and steady on the motorway and after about 5 miles of street driving I noticed an odd smell and steam coming from the engine then the warning came on to stop and check coolant levels.

I'm not one to panic, I've seen this over the years of driving various vehicles (especially crafters) with work.

anyway, so I pops the bonnet and it's like stars in your eyes with the steam!
I top up the header tank, drive home and investigate, below are my findings - I'm not a mechanic by the way.

If you strip out the bit air flow pipe from the filter to the back of the engine there's 2 hoses running into a silver shiney thingy.
hose.jpg
think I worked out how to put picture on

I noticed that there was damp around the hose on the left, and the steam & watermarks were pretty much coming from below this ... another shiney silver thingy.
the clip didn't seem to be sat nice, so I released it and re fit it (looking better)
put it all back together
now I just took the car for a run, at high revs to build pressure and temperature and this time within 2 miles the header tank is empty again.

Am I correct in thinking this is probably the cause & what is that pipe anyway?

I don't hear any hissing from the hoses though or the header tank and cannot visually see where it is actually coming from, this is the only place I see and feel any damp.

would rather not go back to the garage I got the car from, total cowboys.

your thoughts and advice are massively appreciated :)

Dale
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DaleB on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login