2006 b6 engine issues

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

bkp101
Passat model: b6

2006 b6 engine issues

Post by bkp101 »

Hi,
First post and relatively newbie Passat owner so please bear with me! Have got a 2006 Passat 140 tdi (BKP) on just under 150k, had it since last year and love it but been having some issues with the engine I just can't seem to resolve. Basically has always put out a fair bit of smoke on start up for first 5 - 10 secs when cold and always starts immediately (almost too fast) either winter or summer, glow plug light never stays on more than 2 seconds. When starts it also runs pretty rough first 5 seconds. More recently feels like its misfiring when warm and cruising on light throttle and has now put on the emissions light (constant).

Car is a non DPF with the C head, had the injector recall at 90k, so far i've;

- replaced tandem pump with new one as fuel filter pretty black, pulled it since and looks ok now.
- cleaned egr valve (didn't look too bad)
- put in a new genuine vw cylinder head wiring harness. This seemed to stop the misfiring for awhile but now back.

On a budget so I don't have VCDS but scanned it with a foxwell VAG scanner came up with;

- 01648 glow plug module control circuit sporadic 006 - short to plus
-01649 cyl 1 glow plug circuit - sporadic 006 - short to plus
-01651 cyl 3 glow plug circuit - sporadic 006 - short to plus
-04711 cyl 3 pump/injector valve-N242. Value above upper control limit - sporadic 006 -short to plus

After cleaning the EGR and replacing the harness I did clear the codes but the emissions light came back on shortly after, the code 04711 has also appeared now. Have now got a new set of Bosch glowplugs ready to fit and a good s/h relay but not sure if theres something else i'm missing that it could be, ie would the glowplugs/relay cause the smoke and instant starting fault (overfueling?) and maybe throw the injector 3 code up? Probably unrelated but the car has always had a high pitched noise from the turbo and more recently seen lots of smoke out the back when accelerating. Isn't using any coolant, is using a bit of oil but not a huge amount.

Cheers for any help and sorry for the ramble :esm
Pete

-