Pranged it! Door advice appreciated...

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

jasimog
B4
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

Pranged it! Door advice appreciated...

Post by jasimog »

I had a slight 'coming together' with another car on my inside on a dual carriageway today. It would be judged as my fault because I was taking avoiding action from stopped cars ahead. :((

Fortunately the damage is limited to both nearside doors, paintwork is surprisingly intact but door panels are pushed in and the passenger door handle has gone. Car drives fine, no issues. Luckily no injuries, it could have been much worse.

I need to contact insurance v soon because of the damage to the other car, but with a £350 excess to repair my car I'm just weighing up the options of fitting two replacement doors myself. It looks like I could buy them for no more than £100 each on eBay, and I would be in no rush so could find decent ones to match my LC5F paint.

I've done a lot on the car mechanically over the last 3 years, inc new turbo, oil pump drive / balance shaft, all suspension bushes, Eibach Pro springs (declared on insurance), so it is worth more to me than the 'market value' of the car. Although unlikely, I would be concerned that the insurance company could assess the repairs as being greater than the value of the car (MY06, 05 plate).

Question: are Saloon and Estate doors the same? I'm guessing the fronts are but what about the rears?

Any other thoughts appreciated before I call up the insurance company? Perhaps I'm just better off paying my £350 and getting it sorted professionally? Thanks.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, clutch & DMF, Eibach Pro springs, cambelt, retrofit Autohold. 200K club.

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login