Manual Gearbox Oil Change - First Timer Experience

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

JAMIE170
B1
Passat model: B6 2.0 TDI 170

Manual Gearbox Oil Change - First Timer Experience

Post by JAMIE170 »

Thought I'd share my experience of changing the gearbox oil for the first time over the weekend - it might help others, particularly with the same gearbox as mine.

1) The actual job of changing the oil is an easy job that anyone can do. Took 15 mins tops. But before that...

2) This was the first time I'd removed the under tray on a B6 Passat and that was a right PITA. So many rusted screws with varying degrees of Dremel action needed to help get them out. Why didn't VW use plastic?! Took over an hour.

3) Make sure you've got the right oil. Information on gearbox oil is much less clear and available than engine oil. Perhaps because VW claim the oil doesn't ever need changing. I've got the KXZ gearbox (2.0l TDI 170 CR CBBB engine) and this took Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75W. I very nearly put in SAE 75w-80, and it was a last minute intervention from Gazwould on this forum that spared my blushes! Cheers mate.

4) Buying the oil from Opie Oils was cheaper on Amazon than direct from their website and the service was excellent. While you're on amazon, pick up 1m of 12mm clear tube and a funnel (for putting in the new oil) if you don't already have these or similar. Very cheap and well worth it.

5) It would seem there are various different plugs fitted to VAG gearboxes. After searching around, I'd prepared myself for having 17mm hex plugs and bought a Draper key off Amazon for a few quid. No need it would seem, both my drain and fill plugs where the same 10mm hex - which I already had. Doh!

6) I bought 2 litres of oil and this was just enough. Literally, 2 litres exactly of old, dark brown oil came out and 2 litres of nice, new, yellow oil went in. The oil didn't start coming out the fill plug hole until the very last few ml of the new oil had gone in.

7) Job was worth doing. The car has done well over 100k miles and the gears were crunchy and sticky. They're now silky smooth.

So that's job done. Typically, I starting hearing a knock from somewhere in the suspension today. No rest for the wicked...

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login