Changing brake discs and pads on B6 2.0 TDI Se

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

tom1james
still on the production line
Passat model: B6 2.0 TDI SE

Changing brake discs and pads on B6 2.0 TDI Se

Post by tom1james » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:20 am

My rears are getting low from what I was old on my service last month, so they'll be getting changed when I get paid this month. How easy is it to change them? As I'll happily do them myself if it's not a PITA and doesn't require too much work. Not wanting to pay someone to do them as I frankly don't have any spare money at the moment!

Thanks guys. Brakes are going to be the standard sizes by the way, no upgrades or anything.

Skipper heartbeat
B1
Passat model: B6

Re: Changing brake discs and pads on B6 2.0 TDI Se

Post by Skipper heartbeat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:44 pm

You will need VCDS or similar to wind back the EPB motors, and a spline socket (can't remember the size).
Other than those spline bolts are on really tight, its not too difficult.

tom1james
still on the production line
Passat model: B6 2.0 TDI SE

Post by tom1james » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Ahh, I don't have access (or anyone anyone that has) to VCDS. So what you're basically saying is, I'm not gonna be doing it myself :cry: .

Thanks for the info man.

RichardSEL
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B6 SEL tFSI 3c5

Post by RichardSEL » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:01 pm

tom1james wrote:Ahh, I don't have access (or anyone anyone that has) to VCDS. So what you're basically saying is, I'm not gonna be doing it myself :cry: Thanks for the info man.
A VAG indie (they have VCDS at least) would do it for £30 notes -- get the pads yourself, they're usually TRW.
My tyre fitter did my pads all round for £20 with my supplied pads and he didn't need the torx. After the callipers were retracted by VCDS there was enough wriggle room to get the old pad out, gentle pressure on the piston with the bleed nipple loosened and there was enough room to get the new pads in.
Fronts are the old system of bleed nipple loosened, gentle pressure on the piston and all done.
If your warning light hasn't come on then it's coz the warning is only on the NSF -- thanks for that VW :-o
P.S. Citroen CX (yes, that old) had sensors on all wheels. :-??
**SOLD** :( /// '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI BWA SEL 3c5 thingie. With lots of added stuff.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:21 pm

Do you mean brake discs as well as pads?

Usually you need to detach the caliper carriers to switch out the discs, and usually when I do such jobs I get new carrier mounting bolts, and slide pin bolts for the Lucas type rears (and if neccessary new slide pin kits) and it might be wise to clean and re-grease the caliper slide pins - not general purpose grease either correctly rated stuff for the purpose.

As well as VCDS youll need a decent torque wrench, a decent set of tools (spanners and sockets) and hex bits and possibly spline bits too (12 point triple square). Not done a B6 but thats the usual array of kit for VW brakes.

Not sure with the B6 but with some such systems if you detach the motor you can reset its position manually (either wind it or apply a correct polarity voltage - seem to remember someone doing this here) and wind back the caliper with the standard wind back tool you cant just lever back the piston on these designs, then re-assemble and cycling the hand brake a few times resets the range.

Its often when I come to do knackered or dysfunctionl brakes for the first time on any car I find the cause is knackered or jammed up slide pins, the usual cause of this is idiocy in the form of wrong or general purpose grease having been used. ITs sadly very common.