P2015 fault and V157 replacement

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

RKUAH
Passat model: B6

P2015 fault and V157 replacement

Post by RKUAH »

I am the newby with a very standard 2.0 TDi Highline estate as a family car. After [many] months of trial end fiddling I found a really simple, and very cheap, proper fix for the very widespread and well documented VW / Audi fault with the V157 manifold flap motor (fault code P2015).
There is a custom-made screw-in fitting for these units which cost around $70, and these just restrict the movement of the actuator arm on the motor, thus eliminating the fault. Up until this little gem was available the alternative looks to have been a new manifold complete costing the thick end of £550 fitted.
However the little bracket solution doesn't fix the original problem, in that whatever caused the unit to return the fault code in the first place still remains unresolved. If it worked when it left the factory, something must have changed, and in my case what became clear, although not obvious at the start, was that the plastic link arm from the V157 unit to the rod at the manifold end had worn so much, that when the motor turned, the arm just slid up the rod at the other end, likely hardly rotating the flaps in the process, but more importantly allowed the motor to turn far further than it should and going out of range of its location sensor, returning the fault.
That's the background, so the fix? Take off the V157 unit, pull the rod on the manifold towards you so you can slip a 4mm washed over it. you'll see there are flats machined into the rod just near to the raised 'ball' where the actuator arm should snap over. Located the actuator arm where it should sit, push the washer up near to it (allow a little free space for free movement, and with a pair of moles firmly crimp the washer onto the rod across the flats. Tah dah. Delete the error code, job done. Time taken in the end, 15 mins, cost 3p tops.

I have a little drawing I did for this fix, if anyone wants me to go over it or want the pic, drop me your email and I'll send it over.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login