Gear driven oil pump smashed up!

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

low down passat
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Gear driven oil pump smashed up!

Post by low down passat »

Evening All,

My Passat BKP started to get an intermittent noise at idle like a vibration. On Monday evening, I left work and it began to make a knocking noise in the engine and in a few minutes, the STOP LOW OIL PRESSURE flashed up.

I shut it off straight away and got a tow home.

When I removed the sump, I found the idle gear on the balancer had pretty much come off it bearing and smashed the balancer gear. I removed the balancer and check and cleaned it all down. Oil pump and crank gear was fine and after flushing engine through a few times it looks like I got away with what could have been a right mess.

Ordered new balancer gear and Idle gear (idle gear is now upgraded by VW) along with new oil pump key.

Checked turbo before fitting everything and that was also fine.

Right I followed some VW instructions on fitting and timing balancer using locking tool on balancer and the procedure on refitting the new idle gear correctly as it need to be a tight fit. New oil and filter also fitted.

Car fired up fine but it has a whirring sound coming from the balancer. It sounds a little like it has a blower fitted and it gets louder as the revs go up. Car drives and pulls fine.

Got it back in the garage after a test drive and remover sump again to fine everything was fine. No metal bits in sump at all.

Once I checked and refitted it, all I started it to find sound was still there.

My question is would the new gears need to be run in to mesh with the old crank gear and that is what the noise is?

This topic has 106 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login