Passat TDI Sport Cambelt Failure

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

low down passat
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Passat TDI Sport Cambelt Failure

Post by low down passat »

Hi,

I drive a 2007 spec TDI 16V Sport 140 with full service history which I put into the local garage last Thursday for a service @131000miles including Cambelt and water pump change.

Got it back Friday night after Thermostat house fell apart during service and new one was ordered and fitted.

Drove the car pretty much all Saturday morning up until just before lunchtime and it stopped dead with engine failure return to dealership on dash!

I was following a bus and not giving any real revs when this happenend. I pulled over and tried to start it but It was completely dead. Phoned garage and had car taken away. I was told there and then that cambelt had failed.

OVER THE BLOODY MOON! X(

I've been on to garage a few times and been told that the new belt lost its teeth due to it being from a dodgy batch and the garage are seeking compensation for repairs to my Passat for the makers of the parts.

Phoned today to find out if the head was off and what damage has been caused. The good news is they have got the compensation for repairs and have a reconditioned head on order. But I was told the only damage was one bent valve and a slight graze on the piston.

Can this be right to only bend one valve on a 16V engine?

Do the pistons have cut outs that could have just missed other valves?

Any advice would be great.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login