Removing Glovebox

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

BenKentzer
B1
Passat model: B6 RLine TDI Est

Removing Glovebox

Post by BenKentzer »

Evening All!

Just managed to swap the drop down box for the manual for an MDI / CD Changer cage.

As the glovebox itself was a pain to remove (unless you know the magic trick), I though it might be useful to document the process for when I forget how to do it in the future...

First, with the glovebox closed, remove the 3 screws at the bottom of the glove box door.

Then you open the glovebox and remove 4 screws from across the top. One next to the airbag deactivation, one next to the light, and two pointing upwards either side of the centre above the box itself.

Finally, find the little square hole near the centre of the 3 screws at the bottom of the glovebox door. Push a flat blade screwdriver into the hole, and wiggle it. The glovebox will then drop to the floor. You might want to catch it at this point to stop the wires from straining too much.

The first 2 steps took me about 10 minutes (the 2 centre screws at the top needed a socket rather than a screwdriver due to the lack of clearance because of the glovebox door - took me 5 minutes to retrieve the socket!)

It took ages to work out how to get the glovebox to drop, but if I'd known about the square hole with a screwdriver trick, it'd only taken a few seconds - rather than the 30 minutes of swearing!

If anyone wants me to add photos of the locations of the screws (and the elusive locking catch), then I'll see what I can do as I put it all back together in the light. My iPhone camera is somewhat rubbish in the dark - mainly because I couldn't see what I was taking photos of!

Tomorrow's job is to get the cabling in for the Bluetooth and MDI, and try to fit the units themselves.

Oh, and fit the ultimate OEM+ accessory - a car park ticket holder (as Skoda fitted as standard to my Octavia, but VW couldn't stretch to).

Ben
Current:
Passat R Line 2.0 CR TDI Estate ('59) (On it's way to someone else...)
Previous:
Touran SE 1.9 TDI ('58) - bag of old rubbish
Touran Sport 2.0 PD TDI ('04) - porous head
Octavia vRS 1.8T Estate ('53) - insurance too expensive
Golf GT TDI 130 ('53) - cloned
Passat Sport TDI Saloon ('03) - should never have sold it!

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login