Cam follower and the annoying banjo bolt

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

gt160
B1
Passat model: B6

Cam follower and the annoying banjo bolt

Post by gt160 »

After getting the car back from having timing belt, water pump and tensioners done, I thought after good advice from kind people on the forum to check the cam follower. I HATE the banjo bolt, what a pain. Is there a better tool for removing this beast. I used the m8 triple square bit but it was tough tough work with the wrench flexible extension etc....surely there is a better way...took me ages! There must be better way than what I chose, but I searched for alternatives and didn't find any even went to the dreaded halfrauds....no luck.

Anyways was worth the effort, heres a picture of my cam follower, at 58,000 miles, with regular oil changes according to service plan

Im not to sure what to make of it, not as bad as the horrors I have seen but definitely worn down the black surface, to my novice eye I could not see any damage to the actual cam or the high pressure fuel pump spring. I simply replaced with a new follower for £28 and hope that will keep things quiet. Thanks for the advice any opinons or advice regarding my follower condition or how in future to better approach the banjo bolt would be great..my fight with that is a definite detterent even though I know its worth while just thought there must be an easier way

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login