Steering Column Lock problem fixed

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

fbkane

Steering Column Lock problem fixed

Post by fbkane »

Hey everyone This will be my first post so guys please go easy me :esm . Searching through the forums, always helped me find out or sometimes solve my problems with my car and I so I thought I would contribute a bit myself and hope that it helps other fellow B6 owners.

Ive had this problem with my 55 B6 2.0 Tdi Passat for a while where basically when I put the key into the ignition it would just make clicking sounds and eventually the steering column light would appear on the dash. When the problem first started, after few tries it would work but recently it gotten so bad that sometimes it would just take me 10-15 mins to get lights on the dash. Worst thing about this steering lock problem which I experienced few times, few weeks ago while on my way back from picking my dad up from Luton airport going back to London the car turned of itself while traveling at 70-80mph. I had to take out the key and put it back in to be able to use the hazard lights so that I can pull over to the side. I am a cab driver and so few times Ive had the same problems while having a passenger on which is just really a bad situation to be in.

Anyways after going through the internet I noticed a lot of people recommended Guys in Northampton on both their work and charges. After getting quotes of £400+ from the nearby dealers (Mostly in North/East London) I thought I would try these guys since they charge £150 including parts etc.

Few days ago I text one of the numbers posted by forum members to book them for Monday, got quick reply and said they can do it and so booked in for 10am on Monday.

Since I had to be there at 10am, I had to be up by 7am as it was over 80 miles journey and being Monday morning you can imagine the traffic in London. Anyway got in my car around 8am hoping it would start put the key click click click click nope try again... and so after spending nearly 20 mins trying to start the car finally started to make my way towards M25 from East London. Its been a long time since I had to drive early in the morning rush hour, it just reminded me of why I moved to night shift after 2 weeks of day shift work.

Took me 50 mins just to get on M25 Junction 24, a journey (6mile) which usually takes me 10-15 mins in the evenings. Having a bad start along with stressful journey so far, once I reached M25, I thought my problems would be over and from now I would have a smooth run......

Having only reached junction Junction 23, My car decided to take a break and so I had to stop on the hard shoulder. Realizing that I would not get there on time I quickly send a text to Kristof letting him know that I probably going to be a bit late :-P . Anyways after wasting about 5 mins to start the car, I managed to get back on the road. Long story short the car took a break again near Luton on M1 wasted few more mins there as well. :roll: Near Northampton I realised I was a little hungry so did a quick stop at Shell and got me some Red bull and Egg Muffin Sandwich.

Finally managed to reach the the destination after a quite stressful journey. The garage is in an industrial estate easy to find. As I reached there Kristoff was already working on another 57 plate passat which had the same problems as me. Apparently the owner bought the car from car giant 3 months ago and he started having problems after few weeks.
I had to wait about 10 mins for the other guys car to be done.

First thing Kristof did is to connect to the ecu and found out if there are any codes. computer found a fault code that said something about turbo being over boost which I think happens when I suddenly press down on the Accelerator pedal while on 5th or 6th gear. Usually puts me on Limp mode.

Anyways First thing he did is obviously take out the steering wheel which took him about 10 mins and then took it inside his garage since he was doing my car outside the garage I waited next to my car dint go inside and so I got to say I have no idea exactly what they did or if they actually changed any parts but after about 10 mins he came back with the steering wheel and the bolted back into the car which took him about 5-7 mins.

Put the key in to ignition and it started straight away. I tried many times there to make sure it wasn't a fluke :D

Anyways payed him £150 thanked him and also got told that my car details are saved, they give 12 months guarantee so if it starts doing it again I could take it back to him get it sorted free of charge though I dint get any guarantee on paper so just saying.

Well so far so good its only just been Half a day so far so this review in a way is incomplete. I will update in time to let you guys know if its still working fine after months. :wink:

A quick info on the place;

AUTOPLUS
UNIT 5
BUNTING ROAD
NN2 6EE

Kristof - 07729652119

Update: Its been more then 2 months now and so far its been working perfectly.
Last edited by fbkane on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login