Cleaning b6 EGR

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

cooperdavid
still on the production line
Passat model: b6

Cleaning b6 EGR

Post by cooperdavid » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Im s.ervicing my 2.0 tdi b6 at the weekend and was wondering how easy it is to remove and clean the EGR valve.The car has done 109 k and I dont think its ever been done so will probably be full of crud. Any info greatly appreciated.

ash_pearce
B2
Passat model: B6

Re: Cleaning b6 EGR

Post by ash_pearce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 am

cooperdavid wrote:Im s.ervicing my 2.0 tdi b6 at the weekend and was wondering how easy it is to remove and clean the EGR valve.The car has done 109 k and I dont think its ever been done so will probably be full of crud. Any info greatly appreciated.
Its fairly easy to clean once you get the git off! If you are decent with a spanner it shouldn't take you more than 10-15 minutes to get it off and then cleaning is obviously straight forward.

You will need a M10 12 point spline bit to remove the EGR pipe from the body though and a selection of torx bits (cant remember exactly but i think T40 and T30).

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the egr valve on the car only off.

Once the engine cover is off all is revealed! You will be able to see two of the three bolts that hold the egr valve and the throttle body to the inlet (its not a throttle body as such but easiest way of describing it)
The third is behind the egr valve - poo pic but see here Image

To get at it you will need to remove the rubber inlet hose from the egr valve, slide the metal retaining clip away from the body and jiggle the pipe down to release it.

There are two wired connectors on the egr and throttle body remove these by pressing the small clip and push the connector away (easier to do that explain).

Loosen and remove the two 12 point splined bolts securing the egr pipe to the body - the gasket may fall out - mine didnt as the carbon was holding it on!

Now remove the three bolts holding the valve to the inlet.

you should then have one of these Image

To clean I used a soft brush (tooth brush ideal) and some diesel. I used diesel as it was all i had, you can use any cleaning solution you like, white spirit, petrol, carb cleaner. Anything that it a de-greaser should work.

When your finished it should look like this Image

Hope that helps a little.
Passat now sold

Zeb
B6
Passat model: Octavia VRS

Post by Zeb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:29 pm

I can't seem to open up the blimmin 2nd bolt, it's too flippin tight! What shall I do to loosen it up? Engines too hot, so gona go back in an hour.

Gone but not forgotten...

ash_pearce
B2

Post by ash_pearce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Zeb wrote:I can't seem to open up the blimmin 2nd bolt, it's too flippin tight! What shall I do to loosen it up? Engines too hot, so gona go back in an hour.
which one? the one on the right (looking at engine) next to the egr pipe?

Mine wasn't that tight but i did use some mole grips to remove it and replaced the bolt with a normal hex headed one for easy removal in the future.
Passat now sold

Zeb
B6

Post by Zeb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Yeah the one to the right looking at the engine. Shall I spray some wd40? To loosen it up.

ash_pearce
B2

Post by ash_pearce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:55 pm

Zeb wrote:Yeah the one to the right looking at the engine. Shall I spray some wd40? To loosen it up.
i doubt wd40 will get to it as the thread is in the inlet. What are you using to undo it?
Passat now sold

Zeb
B6

Post by Zeb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm using the torx set which I have. It's F'in tight, don't know what else to do.

ash_pearce
B2

Post by ash_pearce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Zeb wrote:I'm using the torx set which I have. It's F'in tight, don't know what else to do.
not sure what to say bud. Take it you dont have any mole grips? Image

thats what I used as a mate hadnt returned my full torx set.
Passat now sold

Zeb
B6

Post by Zeb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

ash_pearce wrote:
Zeb wrote:I'm using the torx set which I have. It's F'in tight, don't know what else to do.

Ah ha....I think I do have it, don't know where I put it. Might have to get a new one. Had one last try, the bolt did not move at all. So I managed to take out the pipe from the bottom, and there I saw all this black muck on the pipe. Got a clean cloth and took out the poo, I then placed my fingers inside the EGR where the flap is located inside. Again, the flap was filled with black muck of oil. I cleaned it out with a cloth, is the least I could do.

The flap seemed abit stiff?? I think it needs a thorough clean.

ash_pearce
B2

Post by ash_pearce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Zeb wrote:
ash_pearce wrote:

Ah ha....I think I do have it, don't know where I put it. Might have to get a new one. Had one last try, the bolt did not move at all. So I managed to take out the pipe from the bottom, and there I saw all this black muck on the pipe. Got a clean cloth and took out the poo, I then placed my fingers inside the EGR where the flap is located inside. Again, the flap was filled with black muck of oil. I cleaned it out with a cloth, is the least I could do.

The flap seemed abit stiff?? I think it needs a thorough clean.

I'd try not to move the flap that much bud. It will be driven by an electric motor and you dont want that to be out of line. When/If you get it off you should have enough space inside to clean it without the need to move the flap.
Passat now sold

cooperdavid

Post by cooperdavid » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Brilliant write up mate, thanks very much.Will have a bash at the weekend :ymhug:

Zeb
B6

Post by Zeb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:32 pm

I will keep that in mind and not touch the flap. Will give another try over the weekend. I bought a de-greaser from halfords, will that clean the poo out from the EGR?

ash_pearce
B2

Post by ash_pearce » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:07 am

cooperdavid wrote:Brilliant write up mate, thanks very much.Will have a bash at the weekend :ymhug:
no worries mate. Good luck with it! :-bd
Passat now sold

ash_pearce
B2

Post by ash_pearce » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:10 am

Zeb wrote:I will keep that in mind and not touch the flap. Will give another try over the weekend. I bought a de-greaser from halfords, will that clean the poo out from the EGR?
should do mate, use plenty of rags or tea towels (sshhh don't tell the mrs!) You will probably find most of the grunge will just wipe off. The carbon on the inlet side of the egr valve (where the metal pipe attaches) will be a little more stubborn but nothing a tooth brush or something similar wont budge! Don't use anything metal though like a screwdriver you dont want to damage it! :-bd
Passat now sold

seanseansean
B3

Post by seanseansean » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Cheers for the info aswell.
i need to get my cleaned, on 160k and it bet it hasnt been cleaned... :hyst

Zeb
B6

Post by Zeb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:44 pm

ash_pearce wrote:
Zeb wrote:I will keep that in mind and not touch the flap. Will give another try over the weekend. I bought a de-greaser from halfords, will that clean the poo out from the EGR?
should do mate, use plenty of rags or tea towels (sshhh don't tell the mrs!) You will probably find most of the grunge will just wipe off. The carbon on the inlet side of the egr valve (where the metal pipe attaches) will be a little more stubborn but nothing a tooth brush or something similar wont budge! Don't use anything metal though like a screwdriver you dont want to damage it! :-bd

:hyst Not to worry as I'm still single :D I will clean the inlet with a toothbrush, and be extra careful when doing a thorough clean. I was thinking of using a screwdriver to clean the inside, but I won't since you've mentioned it.

Toca
B7
Passat model: Cu-ddy

Post by Toca » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Just had a go myself, hmm wasn't as dirty as i thought it will be :) but looks better clean :)
who gave VW planning permissions for the screws ?? :-q

Easierst way to clean is if u have a spare Paint spray gun, fill in some diesel and give it a go :)

and finished it off with a beer can :)

ash_pearce
B2

Post by ash_pearce » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Toca wrote:Just had a go myself, hmm wasn't as dirty as i thought it will be :) but looks better clean :)
who gave VW planning permissions for the screws ?? :-q

Easierst way to clean is if u have a spare Paint spray gun, fill in some diesel and give it a go :)

and finished it off with a beer can :)
hope youve not blocked it off? ive tried it and it will throw a fault quite quickly! wish it was that simple!
Passat now sold

Toca
B7
Passat model: Cu-ddy

Post by Toca » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:08 am

Yeah i did blocked it, found that allard egr delete kit for 66,- but that does the same job.
Did contact them and they said some will throw up a fault some want. So tried it

cooperdavid

Post by cooperdavid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 am

Did mine this morning,and wasnt as mucky as I thought.The only hard bit was undoing the bolt nearest to the egr pipe,a bad design by vw.All cleaned and refitted,now seems to run smoother :esm

seanseansean
B3

Cleaning b6 EGR

Post by seanseansean » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Just finished mine, was expecting it to be mega clogged but it's wasn't so bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zeb
B6

Post by Zeb » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Got my EGR cleaned, wasn't that dirty. Sprayed carb cleaner and is now back on. Was thinking that the EGR was causing the engine light coming on, emissions workshop! clearly not! Will need to order lambda sensor hopefully that should cure the problem.

jmm86
B2
Passat model: B6 2.0TDI SPORT

Post by jmm86 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Thinking about doing mine now, as my car likes to smoke ALOT! Is it really as simple as it seems?

Do i need to disconnect battery? do any fault codes come up after messing about with it? also do i need to replaced any seals ?
2007 2.0TDI SPORT ESTATE

Zeb
B6

Post by Zeb » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 am

jmm86 wrote:Thinking about doing mine now, as my car likes to smoke ALOT! Is it really as simple as it seems?

Do i need to disconnect battery? do any fault codes come up after messing about with it? also do i need to replaced any seals ?
Nothing at all. All you need to do is take the EGR out and clean it with a clean cloth and a carb cleaner diesel.
Then put it back together, job done ;)

MARTIN1810
B5

Post by MARTIN1810 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:19 am

Toca wrote:Yeah i did blocked it, found that allard egr delete kit for 66,- but that does the same job.
Did contact them and they said some will throw up a fault some want. So tried it
You should not blank the egr on a passat B6. The ecu map won't allow it. You will get a fault code and upset the running. Generally cleaning a modern egr is a waste of time, but it does look nicer. Never attampt to move the antishudder flap.