Rust on doors '06

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

leizureman
B1
Passat model: B5.5, B6

Rust on doors '06

Post by leizureman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 pm

It all started when i was touching up the edges of the doors, where the paint often chips off. I found that at the bottom edges, the paint was peeling off, and i could see the metal, not the layer of primer og zinc. I thought this curious and decided to check rest of the edge. It followed the outer edges..

Anyway, i removed the plastic protection at the bottom and cleaned thoroughly underneath and coated some areas where the plastic had rubbed at the paint. Anyway, i treated the area on the outer edge, sanded it and put primer on and painted it. I couldn't reach the inner end though, as it's kinda tricky to reach.

Took it to the dealer and they took some pictures and shook their head, saying they'd never heard of this before. Well, that was in october 2011. Nothing yet. However, i was cleaning the car the other day, and i noticed a grey bubble (car's pearl black) and suddenly the bubble flew off, and there was plain metal, just like the edges were. I searched the door for more spots, and they're everywhere!!! There is rust all over the doors, on both sides. It's still just small bubbles, but i can't believe it! It also seems to be on the wheelarches too..

Anyone heard of this before? It's got a very nice paint coat, that's been treated very nicely by everyone. It has gone 68000km about.

TLDR: Rust on the doors, looks like paint and zinc is slipping.

jd's
B3
Passat model: B6 4Motion Sport

Re: Rust on doors '06

Post by jd's » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:04 pm

A call to the dealers should be your first port of call, see if it's warranty issue :-?
4motion Sport Estate, P-Torque 185BHP Remap, K&N Airfilter, No Plate LED's, Carbon Wrap Dash Trim. 6000K HID Conversion, LED front Side Lights, all Interior LEDs. Parrot hands free. "PASSAT" sill protectors.
http://s1076.photobucket.com/albums/w45 ... er=noflash

seanseansean
B3
Passat model: B6

Rust on doors '06

Post by seanseansean » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:10 pm

I would go straight back to the dealers, hopefully they will get it all tested and sorted.

leizureman
B1

Post by leizureman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Right, i'll call them tomorrow..Hopefully they'll not take a year to handle it...

jd's
B3

Post by jd's » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 am

Pressure my man pressure, don't let the bustards get away with it :twisted:
4motion Sport Estate, P-Torque 185BHP Remap, K&N Airfilter, No Plate LED's, Carbon Wrap Dash Trim. 6000K HID Conversion, LED front Side Lights, all Interior LEDs. Parrot hands free. "PASSAT" sill protectors.

jd's
B3

Post by jd's » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 am

Pressure my man pressure, don't let the bustards get away with it :twisted:

leizureman
B1

Post by leizureman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:13 am

The Rust-guy at the dealers seemed to take it seriously, and booked me for an examination on the 27th. Surprised about that, since last time i talked to him about rust on the doors, well, "that's not an issue i've heard of" maybe he was crossing his fingers i'd just go away. lol

The heat is on!

samiepb6
still on the production line
Passat model: b6

Post by samiepb6 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:56 am

i have the same problem mines the same year and same colour could you let me no how you get on please cheers sam

Ant_TDI
B1
Passat model: B6 2.0 TDI Sport

Post by Ant_TDI » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Ive noticed bubling on my drivers side wheel arch so im a bit worried about this. I think the anti corrosion/rust warranty is about 12 years? I guess i will have to contact VW. :sad:

Let us know how you get on?
140pd Passat 2.0 TDI

leizureman
B1

Post by leizureman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 am

Will let you know how it goes.

I just got word from the dealer that they are fixing some bad rust on the wheel arches on my '02 B5.5 though, they'll pay 70%..not optimal, but i couldn't be bothered arguing. The car is "old". I will not accept that solution for Marcello though (My B6). I first showed the old car in october 2011..so this will take some time.

leizureman
B1

Post by leizureman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:52 pm

So i took it there today, and they said it most likely was because of rocks or whatever hitting the door..yeah..ehh..suuuuure. But at the same time, he said it could be because sink slippage..but that was only covered by a 5-year warranty, and my car is now 6 years old.

However, at the bottom of the doors, on the very bottom corners on the back doors, the paint has come off. Like peeled off, i fixed it up on the outside, but hard to reach the inside corners. So anyway, they approved that as a fault, and they're now paying for it to get fixed. I think the peeling paint on the corners and the problem with the rust is related, but now that they are paying to fix the other stuff, he said i could ask the shop to fix the other problems while it first was in the paintbox. So i guess i'm happy. :)

Will report back when i get the rest of the story within a couple of weeks.

ollieorkins
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Post by ollieorkins » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi guys, I have a 2005 B6 which i bought 6 weeks ago, it was mint one owner car, only downside was it had bubbles of rust on both front arches. I took it to my local VW body-shop, they took photos and told they would send them to VW HQ and await there decision. Had a call from the body shop 2 weeks later, took the car in, gave me a courtesy car, had my car for just over a week and replaced both wings free of charge. More worryingly they did say they are doing a lot of warranty body work, I think the might VW are perhaps cutting corners with not so good materials???
Ollie