Boot rust issue VW aware!!

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

t51rjohn
B1
Passat model: B6 140 TDI Sport

Post by t51rjohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:56 am

I have been in touch with VW regarding my boot on my estate that is rusting behind the number plate lights.

They have looked at the boot and done the paint depth analysis. All findings have gone to VW and they have agreed to replace the boot for free with a revised model due to an inherant design fault.

The fault is to do with some of the fastenings being metal screws whcih rust and then corrode the surrounding surfaces.

The solution to this is they have replaced these screws with a new system involving plastic clips.

I am happy that VW are replacing this entire boot for free, this is going to involve me being without my car for a week but it is worth it!

I hope this comes in handy for anyone thinking that they have bought a dodgy rusty car or concerned about future bodyshop costs.

Thanks John
Passat B6 140 TDI Estate
Standard bi xenon headlights retro fitted. LED interior lights, Cree LED sidelights, LED Number plate lights.
To be fitted:
Reverse camera, MFSW, Badgeless grill, MDI

ToMBoY_C
B3
Passat model: Gone!

Re: Boot rust issue VW aware!!

Post by ToMBoY_C » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:07 am

Great post, thanks. I'm guessing this is just estate variant?
FORD MONDEO TITANIUM X SPORT 2.2TDCi 200
[/color][/size]

Jarek
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B6 Estate

Post by Jarek » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:10 am

What year is your wagon?

Sent from my mobile ;)

Jarek
Too much time on your hands

Post by Jarek » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:14 am

Double post....

Sent from my mobile ;)

jordanb7426
B5
Passat model: B6 estate

Post by jordanb7426 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:40 am

was this covered under the standard manufaturers warrenty or just the anti corrosion one?

t51rjohn
B1

Post by t51rjohn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:33 pm

My car year is 2006 and is an estate version. I made the query about the rust but can't remember under what warranty. I know it was 12 years though
Passat B6 140 TDI Estate
Standard bi xenon headlights retro fitted. LED interior lights, Cree LED sidelights, LED Number plate lights.
To be fitted:

leep17
B1
Passat model: b6 se tdi

Post by leep17 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:42 pm

thanks for that bit of advice, ive also got a 2006 estate and ive noticed the rust starting around the number plate lights, did you go to your local dealer first or phoned customer services??
18" wheels. alpine double din. sport interior. tinted windows. chrome grill. custom back box exhaust. cross drilled & grooved front discs. brushed aluminium wrapped dash. HID kit 4300k. aluminium heater/ventilation knobs.

cornishbloke
still on the production line
Passat model: B7 Highline BMT

Post by cornishbloke » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:50 am

i had rust around the high level brake light (large bubbles), around the VW badge and arround the number plate lights. Took it to VW dealer who took pictures and sent report to VW. All work was done under the VW rust warreny. Glad its a 12 year warrenty as car is 08 plate.

Jk*
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B6 170 BMR

Post by Jk* » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:52 am

Is it worth making this a sticky?

Wanted:
R-Line or Votex side skirts.

timprice
B1
Passat model: B6 2.0 TDI Sport

Post by timprice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:26 am

cornishbloke wrote:i had rust around the high level brake light (large bubbles), around the VW badge and arround the number plate lights. Took it to VW dealer who took pictures and sent report to VW. All work was done under the VW rust warreny. Glad its a 12 year warrenty as car is 08 plate.
Did they replace the tailgate or just respray the old one?

Also, i've reported mine to my local dealer, who have also taken pics and forwarded on to VW HQ. I'd be interested to know if a new tailgate would be the post-08 model with support for a rear view camera....i'd be very keen to have it replaced rather than repaired in that case!

t51rjohn
B1

Post by t51rjohn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:42 pm

They have replaced the whole boot.
Passat B6 140 TDI Estate
To be fitted:

cornishbloke
Passat model: B7 Highline BMT

Post by cornishbloke » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:58 pm

they remved the rust, treat and re-sprayed

leep17
B1

Post by leep17 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Took my car to vw last week for them to look at the rust, they took pics and sent a report to vw customer service, contacted them today and was told that vw would repair the boot as a goodwill gesture, as they said because its over 3 years old the paint warranty has expired. surely it comes under the 12 year corrosion warranty not the 3 year paint warranty. Is this just vw not admitting that there is an issue with rust and making out they're doing you a favour by sorting it out as a goodwill gesture??? :???:
18" wheels. alpine double din. sport interior. tinted windows. chrome grill. custom back box exhaust. cross drilled & grooved front discs. brushed aluminium wrapped dash. HID kit 4300k. aluminium heater/ventilation knobs.

timprice
B1

Post by timprice » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Just as an update to this:

VW agreed to 'repair' the old tailgate, but of course that is only masking the real issue which is the number plate light screws and brackets.

Dealer told me they wouldn't replace the tailgate, and VW HQ have told me they don't have authorisation to agree to replace it. They also keep saying that they are doing it as a 100% contribution 'goodwill gesture', as the car is over 3 years old...i'm sorry, WHAT?

Apparently it's not covered under the corrosion warranty as there isn't a massive gaping hole in the boot...hmmm.

Not best pleased to say the least, and i will fight tooth and nail until i get what i believe is the right solution...ie a new tailgate with the 'new' style plastic clips so the issue doesn't reappear.

VW, sorry to say you've gone down in my estimations.

timprice
B1

Post by timprice » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:36 am

Just a further update, i had to go and collect some (unrelated) parts from the VW dealer last night, and so i took the opportunity to take some pictures of other Passats i could see in the car park.

It was interesting to see the difference between the 'old' Pre-08 tailgate and the newer 'Plastic clip' version fitted to the post-08 models.

They certainly can't say it isn't happening to other vehicles looking at the rust on this 06 plate car!

2006 Passat SE Estate

2010 (60) plate SE Estate

Come on VW, pull your finger out and admit there is a problem here!!!

leep17
B1

Post by leep17 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Looks like a common fault to me, the plastic clip type look better. My car is booked in to have the boot repaired week next tuesday, I was informed that it would be in with them for at least a week but was told that if the boot wasnt repairable then they would need to go back to customer services and apply to have a new tailgate but that will mean the car will be with them for a fortnight.. while all this is going on they are kindly loaning me a polo (NOT VERY PRACTICAL WITH 3 CHILDREN AND A COUPLE OF PUSHCHAIRS) plus ive got to sort out my own insurance for the loan car!! Is this normal practice????? :???:

samiep
Passat model: b6

Post by samiep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:00 pm

i took mine down to vw northampton had rust in the same place they used a paint reader and said it was under the 12yr warranty and will fix it not sure if it's a new boot or they sort the rust but he said he had heard of the rust problem before, so i get a free courtesy car dont have to pay for insurance as its under warranty booked it in for the 10th april said it will be in for a few days hope this helps a bit

t51rjohn
B1

Post by t51rjohn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Mine went to northampton vw too, they sent it to leicester though as that is the local paint shop.
Passat B6 140 TDI Estate
To be fitted:

t51rjohn
B1

Post by t51rjohn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:21 pm

leep17 wrote:Looks like a common fault to me, the plastic clip type look better. My car is booked in to have the boot repaired week next tuesday, I was informed that it would be in with them for at least a week but was told that if the boot wasnt repairable then they would need to go back to customer services and apply to have a new tailgate but that will mean the car will be with them for a fortnight.. while all this is going on they are kindly loaning me a polo (NOT VERY PRACTICAL WITH 3 CHILDREN AND A COUPLE OF PUSHCHAIRS) plus ive got to sort out my own insurance for the loan car!! Is this normal practice????? :???:

Unfortunatley it is normal practice, i did ask for something bigger however they only have polos, they used to have something even smaller, not sure if it was a lupo but it was horrible lol
Passat B6 140 TDI Estate
To be fitted:

RENT-A-GOAT
B5.5

Post by RENT-A-GOAT » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:49 pm

No sign of this on the 06 wagon I have just purchased. Are the new clip in type of holders available as a direct replacement for the troublesome screw type as fitted. Has anyone got the approx cost and part numbers for these? So I can get them changed as a preventative measure.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

nordic
B1
Passat model: B7EstateSE140

Post by nordic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Just had a look at my car today and this was the result ,,, rust :(

early 2007 56reg estate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RENT-A-GOAT
B5.5

Post by RENT-A-GOAT » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm

That sucks I hope you can get it sorted under warranty. I really hope someone will be so kindvas to point me the direction of the new light fitment part numbers so I can take preventative measures foe my wagon now as its an 06 and rust free.

Sent from my Sony XperiaS using Tapatalk

leep17
B1

Post by leep17 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Had my car back yesterday, didnt replace the tailgate, just repaired but overall happy with the job they done. Didnt get a polo after, they gave me a fox!! cant say i wll be looking to part x the passat for a fox any time soon. :D

ollieorkins
Passat model: B6

Post by ollieorkins » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:40 am

Hi guys, I have just had 2 new wings fitted and resprayed through my local dealer under the 12 year Anti-Corrosion Warranty. The car itself is mint but let down by the wings, I think it is a case of pushing for replacement panels as opposed to repair work. I wanted to test this cover and it has worked well for me, local dealer did tell me they do a lot of this type of work, makes you think whether the B6 was ready to replace the B5, which I also own and never had a problem 10 years on.....
Ollie

alicepuppy
B1
Passat model: CC GT

Post by alicepuppy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Took mine to VW in York yesterday, Been told they will repair or replace dependant on what they find once they have stripped it down. Waiting to see what they do.