Recon turbo - passat 06 2.0 TDI

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

Rich4thGen

Recon turbo - passat 06 2.0 TDI

Post by Rich4thGen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 am

Hi, a newbie to this forum here (but not to cars).

I'm actually a Honda man but have found this nice looking and very informative forum as I'm looking for some answers to some issues a friend is having with his '06 Passat 2.0 TDI.

Basically the car is going into limp mode on a regular basis. My friend took it back to the VW dealership who suspected the wiring loom and replaced the whole thing. This didn't seem to cure it as it happened again a week later and is now happening at more and more regular intervals. Taking it back to the VW dealership they said the next thing to have a look at is the turbo. However the price was extremely high so my friend has gone about looking for quotes elsewhere. It seem the lowest is in the range of £800 which to me still seems really expensive, (he's been phoning the usual cowboy local garages).

I was wondering if this is a common fault, and if it is the turbo who or where is the best place to go for recon or reaplcement VW turbos? I'm located in Southampton so the nearer the better but if it needs to be sent off on an exhange basis then so be it. I reckon a service like this should be more around the £4-500 mark. Charging nearly a grand seems a bit OTT when its not really a premium car.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help.

jaraz
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: PANZER BVI

Re: Recon turbo - passat 06 2.0 TDI

Post by jaraz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Eurocarparts does recon turbos for around 450-500£. Bought one for myself recently !!!
COTM January 2014

Genuine Ross Tech VCDS / VAG COM -SE & E & Central London - Kent

Oo w oO | Oo w oO
SKYLINE rings/tails for sale: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=66121
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59629
VWLEDS FB Page : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vwleds/6 ... 708?ref=hl

newboy
B4
Passat model: B6 estate

Post by newboy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Had a remanufactured turbo last year from Essex Turbos, cost £395 plus VAT including carriage both ways (it's an exchange deal), and it was excellent. Yeah, "Essex Turbos" sounds a bit Arthur Daley, but they knew their stuff. The deal is that they send you the turbo, and then you put your old one back on a van to them within 30 days. There's a returnable deposit of about £30.

Can't speak for a Passat, but fitting takes about 2.5 hours on a typical car. (Mine was a diesel Ford Focus.) Total wallet damage was a bit under £600 all in. Fair deal.

ChrisR
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B6 TDI

Post by ChrisR » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:31 am

Fitted price is probably close to £800.

A proper garett unit is around £500+vat (I paid £520+vat for my new one last month).

Something to be aware of is that none of the recon units use original garett bearings as garett will not sell the bearings so they either use third party bearings or just clean up the old ones if there's not to much play in them! This was confirmed by 3 separate authorised garett dealers.

End of the day you pay your money and take your choice. Good luck :-bd
'06 Passat SE TDI 140 wagon
'01 Passat SE TDI 130 wagon - gone but not forgotten