Soon to be Passat CC Owner

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

MINKYMERC
still on the production line
Passat model: Passat CC

Soon to be Passat CC Owner

Post by MINKYMERC » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 am

Hi all,

Just had to tell someone about what to me is so exciting.

Yesterday, I traded in my 3 year Old Mercedes C Class for a 6 month old (60 plate) Black Passat CC 2.0 TDi (170) GT DSG. with all the toys - Leather with memory and heated sports seats, Sat Nav, Folding Mirrors, Bluetooth phone connectivity, Mudflaps, boot liner, Adaptive Chassis Control

It is not the colour I would have preferred but the p/ex price was far better than anything else I had been offered by £1500. So I decide to go for it.

I just hope I am doing the right thing - I couldn't afford another C Class with the same spec. Servicing, VED, Insurance, Fuel Consumption should all work out cheaper

The Electronic Parking Brake is one of my concerns but I am hoping to be lucky with it - seemed OK on the test drive combined with Auto Hold.

I am looking forward to collecting the car on 1st. March. Must be mad at nearly 70 Lol but I think it is a stunning looking car. I just hope that it is as reliable as all the Mercs I have had.

I have been offered GAP insurance for £299 (instead of £399) and Service Plan for three years at £349.

I wonder if any of you knowledgeable guys can advise on these items- are they worth having?

Minkymerc

Minkymerc

MINKYMERC

Re: Soon to be Passat CC Owner

Post by MINKYMERC » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:21 pm

21 views and zero responses.

Thanks guys for the interest and advice.

Bye

Sn@iL
Passat model: B6 Wagon Tdi 140

Post by Sn@iL » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Welcome & congrats on your forth coming CC. Most peeps on here are probably to envious to comment but don't take it personally as I'm sure that's not aimed at you personally :D Some on here will tell you horror stories I'm sure about the Ebrake but it's always worked fine for me and I'm sure most of the thousands of owners :-bd Personally I'd prefer a normal handbrake but thats because I used to like to 'play' a little :wink:
As for your other points, GAP insurance can be worthwhile, depends how long a period it covers. Salesmen get good commission to sell it so hangle them down some more on that %-( . I suppose the best thing about GAP is if you need to make a claim on your insurance you can just except the first figure they offer as GAP will make up the difference :shock: But with service contracts I'm very sceptical because once they have your money they can get away with as little as possible to 'maintain' your car. I always imagine garages having 2 cars on the ramps, 1 with a full paying, see what needs doing customer and one with a pre-paid service contract, oil & filter and a health check. If you plan on keeping the car I'd rather know it's being fully maintained :ymdaydream:

MINKYMERC

Post by MINKYMERC » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for your kind remarks Sn@il and your congrats and experiences are much appreciated.

I tend to agree with you about the GAP insurance and the Service Contract. As for the Ebrake only time will tell. I had no problems using it in conjunction with AutoHold on the test drive so I'm looking on the positive side.

Thanks again for your welcome.

Minkymerc

ChrisR
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B6 TDI

Post by ChrisR » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:01 pm

congratulations on your new purchase... the Ebrake took me 2/3 days to get used to in my B6.. don't have an issue at all with it now.

as to them getting faults... the most common is the switch which isn't too costly an item (circa. £25).

I'm sure you'll have a field day with your new car :-bd

as to the GAP insurance... possibly worthwhile given the value of the vehicle.

Service contracts if direct through a main dealer are a great thing as far as saving costs if you do reasonable mileage. i know a few people that have used them through VW with nothing but praise some even gaining free tyres. Also remember as the customer of garage (contract or not) you have the right to request to see all parts removed/replaced.

But regardless of all of the comments on what/if may go wrong... just enjoy it while the goings good! :mrgreen:
'06 Passat SE TDI 140 wagon
'01 Passat SE TDI 130 wagon - gone but not forgotten

mifkif
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B3, B3, B5.5, B6

Post by mifkif » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:28 pm

I have a 17 year old B3, so I cannot help at all on any of your questions. All I can say is I adore the CC. Just looks so nice.

As for any horror stories, it's like with most things, people post heavily when something goes wrong, but tend to go a little lighter when things are going well. Not many people start a thread 'Just thought I would let you know everything is going well' :D

The service contract could be good, but only if from a main VW dealer. I paid extra for cover on the wife's B5.5, whne it sprang an oil leak from the camshaft seal, they delicately informed me that the cover does not include oil leaks :shock: With that in mind, just be weary of what they are offering, as they maybe susceptible to cutting corners and using inferior parts, that will in time end up costing YOU more money.

Hope the delivery goes well, and don't leave it too long to post pictures so we can drool over your ride.

Matt
Follow my Iron Man progess here - http://mifkif.wordpress.com/ and here - http://app.strava.com/athletes/1285908

dubway
B7
Passat model: factory b35 gtd

Post by dubway » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

HOOOOOOO i run a 21yr old b3 gt wagon and a 2008 CC.... love em to bits but guess which i prefer to be seen in :-?

Giffer2
B1

Post by Giffer2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:42 am

Personally I wouldn't bother with GAP insurance, its a new but second hand car so should have lost a big chunk of it's initial drive off the forecourt loss that all cars have.

The money would be best spent on the service plan and a nice meal out :)
B6 2.0 TDi 170 (BMR)

Injector failures 3/4 -

Oct 2010 - #2
Dec 2010 - #3
Feb 2011 - #1
Mar 2011 - #4 - Replaced under 'goodwill gesture'

colb666
B7
Passat model: Tiguan R-Line

Post by colb666 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:28 pm

I've had a couple of B6's one being a 3.6 CC GT DSG and I never had any bother with the handbrake at all,tbh with it being DSG you'll not use the handbrake apart from parking.
GAP insurance is one of those things that only you'll know what sort of deal you've struck on the new car and what if any finance your going to have left to pay.

The CC is a lovely car and you'll love it B-) B-)

MINKYMERC

Post by MINKYMERC » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks guys for all those responses and for all your congratulations, advice and good wishes.

The advice on the Ebrake has more or less set my mind at rest and valuable advice also on the GAP Insurance and the Service Contract.

You have all helped to make me feel good about getting the car and I am grateful for that . I am almost 70 and wondered if I was doing the right thing buying a coupe at my age - but it might be the last car I get (hopefully not). I'm looking forward to picking up the car on Tuesday (1st.March) and, after your comments I feel sure that I will enjoy it . I get a feeling though, that keeping the black clean will be a PITA. The dealer has agreed to throw in Autoglym LIfe Shine but I'm not too sure whether that will make any difference - still it's for free.

I'll try and post some pictures when I get the car.

Thanks again for your help and interest and warm welcome.

Regards to all

Minkymerc

Giffer2
B1

Post by Giffer2 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 pm

MINKYMERC wrote:Thanks guys for all those responses and for all your congratulations, advice and good wishes.

The advice on the Ebrake has more or less set my mind at rest and valuable advice also on the GAP Insurance and the Service Contract.

You have all helped to make me feel good about getting the car and I am grateful for that . I am almost 70 and wondered if I was doing the right thing buying a coupe at my age - but it might be the last car I get (hopefully not). I'm looking forward to picking up the car on Tuesday (1st.March) and, after your comments I feel sure that I will enjoy it . I get a feeling though, that keeping the black clean will be a PITA. The dealer has agreed to throw in Autoglym LIfe Shine but I'm not too sure whether that will make any difference - still it's for free.

I'll try and post some pictures when I get the car.

Thanks again for your help and interest and warm welcome.

Regards to all

Minkymerc
Mine's black and its not too bad at showing up dirt - Not as badly as other colour cars I've had but there is one exception to that - Winter, gritted roads and the road dirt gives the car a nice dirty white finish!

But as with any car, if you give it the tlc it deserves then it'll always look good.
B6 2.0 TDi 170 (BMR)

Injector failures 3/4 -

Oct 2010 - #2
Dec 2010 - #3
Feb 2011 - #1
Mar 2011 - #4 - Replaced under 'goodwill gesture'

MINKYMERC

Post by MINKYMERC » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Giffer2 - Thank you for your reassurance re black car - most cars get that whitish look in Winter.

Hope you're enjoying your CC.

See you're in South Wales - I went to University in Cardiff 1959 - 1962. Lovely City and friendly people.

Minkymerc