Engine management fault?

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Steve N

Engine management fault?

Post by Steve N »

I'm new on here, having just (4 weeks ago) replaced my Mondeo 130 TDCi with a Passat 1.9 SE Tdi. The Mondeo had been giving me no end of problems in the last 12 months - new injectors and new clutch amongst other things - poor starting, rubbish fuel consumption, lots of blue and black smoke at various times during journeys. Spent hundreds of pounds on diagnostic work, but nobody could tell me what fault was - plenty of possibilities but nothing definite.

I really thought I'd seen the last of such problems, at least for a while, but alas how wrong could I be. A week ago I was on my way to London (I live in Bournemouth) when the Passat developed a fault. The parking brake light came on and car went into 'limp' mode. I pulled on to the shoulder and sat there for a minute or two, with the engine idling, then attempted to continue. For a few moments the car was fine, then went in to limp mode again and parking brake light and heater plug lights came on. Message appeared saying 'emission fault' followed quickly by another message 'engine fault'. I pulled over to shoulder again and then engine management light came on.

Called out the AA. After plugging in his diagnostic equipment he said there appeared to be a voltage spike, possibly caused by a faulty (parking brake circuit?) relay. He had a 'fiddle' and revved the engine and checked again. This time he said there was possibly a fault in the ignition relay, although he couldn't be sure as the fault code wasn't specific?

Car is now at garage (where it's been since before new year) but they can't find any fault and car seems to be driving normally.

Any suggestions - printable and sensible only please. :((

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login