Terrible Tyre Wear - 2.0TDI 140

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

timprice
B1
Passat model: B6 2.0 TDI Sport

Terrible Tyre Wear - 2.0TDI 140

Post by timprice »

Hi guys, hope everyone has had a good new year!

I'm getting a little worried about my B6 estate which seems to be literally eating tyres at a rate of one front set per 6-7k miles! It's a '07 plate 2.0TDI 140 Sport Estate with stock suspension (15mm lowered sports as standard) and 17" monte carlo alloys (also standard)

Is this normal on a B6 passat? I've got Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres on all round at the moment (235/45/17 '97Y' XL), but have had Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric F1's on before, and Bridgestone RE050A's on before that. Each set has lasted between 4k and 7k miles (rears are a lot better, can easily get 2 sets of fronts out of one set of rears).

Car has now covered just over 40k miles, and i had the wheel laser alignment done on both front and rear to correct the sawtoothing back in 2008 when i bought the car. I know the control arm bushes are weak on these cars, and i known on my particular car the suspension squeaks when you go over a speedbump on a cold morning, so could this be the problem?

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I don't hang around when driving the car, but also don't rag it anywhere, just normal acceleration and not harsh braking as i use the engine to brake a lot of the time. I'm just concerned this is going to be expensive, but i suppose at least one big bill is better than £600 every 6k miles for tyres (6 months driving for me!)

Cheers everyone

Tim

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login