55 plate passat,steering lock light and coil light

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

j33kmr
Passat model: b5

55 plate passat,steering lock light and coil light

Post by j33kmr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:19 pm

i got a problem with my passat,when i go to start the car,all the dash light flicker and make clicking noises,then the steering lock light stays on yellow with a "warning see a technician" then the light goes to red and the car does not start.
sometimes the yellow coil light appears and flashes then a warning "engine fault",but if a take the key out and reinsert it and the car car starts up,this has been happening for about a year[/b]anybody know what it this fault is,or any body have the same problem?
many thanks

l4jhx
still on the production line
Passat model: b6

Re: 55 plate passat,steering lock light and coil light

Post by l4jhx » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:12 am

hiya mate - Mine is a 55 reg B6 shape. A common fault with most B6 models of this year. Try asking B5 section for further advice but In my case it was a new steering column and convenience control module. Both coincide with each other and cannot be fitted seperately. I had to bite the bullet in the end!No independent garage at the moment can fix it - Dealer only. I spend weeks milling around garage to garage with everyone scratching their heads because they couldn't fix it. What I did do is contact VW Customer Care to complain about this being a problem & that it should be a recall. They offer a goodwill gesture based on your mileage and having full VW history. How the mileage is a factor I'll never know!So the dealer quoted me £1000 and Customer Care gave me £100 off so £900. It starts every time now....the whole family jumps up and down every time we start the car!! I have also wrote to head office with the same complaint in the hope they do something about it.
VW Customer Care 0800 0833 914
Hope this helps and good luck!If you need any more info just email me and i'll get back to you asap.

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Why are we, as customers prepared to put up with this poo!!!

A new steering column and control unit after less than 50k miles is discraceful and obviously a major design flaw!! Have you seen the other posts on forums in the US and as for the guy with a fleet of them and having to have seven...yes! Seven of them needing steering column replacement just because the steering lock warning light comes on.........!!!

This is outrageous! Surely VW should do this work as a recall??? There have been enough incidences of this occuring to highlight a major component flaw!

If anybody on here has had this problem they should ring VW Customer Services and tell them they have had to pay out £1000 plus to cure the problem and they are not happy considering the amount of posts about this problem on forums around the world! Then ask them what they intend to do about reimbursing at least some of the costs!

If you have 'Legal Cover' on your insurance policy it would be worth contacting them to see if you have a legal case against them. Consumer law also applies to cars and quite frankly having to replace a steering column after less than five years on the road isn't what I call a 'reasonable time'! After all, how many steering columns have you had to have changed on any other vehicles you have owned? (I still have the original steering column on my 1969 VW camper and it is working very well thanks!!)

If VW don't want to play ball then they deserve the sort of bad publicity that Watchdog would bring!

j33kmr

Post by j33kmr » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:07 pm

-ok thanks to all replies and advise,
i found out what the problem is now,after speaking to somebody who works at vw.
the problem is the steering lock packs up after a while,the cure was to replace the whole steering columnwhich is about £300 plus vat and it is a 3 hour job,now they have a tool that will take the lock out from the column to be repaced with a new one (£60 +vat) and vw labour,then the keys have to re programmed along with all the abs sensors

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm

j33kmr wrote:-ok thanks to all replies and advise,
i found out what the problem is now,after speaking to somebody who works at vw.
the problem is the steering lock packs up after a while,the cure was to replace the whole steering columnwhich is about £300 plus vat and it is a 3 hour job,now they have a tool that will take the lock out from the column to be repaced with a new one (£60 +vat) and vw labour,then the keys have to re programmed along with all the abs sensors
Well that's a bit of good news at least! It's still an a r s e to have it done in the first place! Please let us know how you get on with this new 'fix' and what the price was to do it. Also if you have the chance. See if you can get any details of the service bulletin that describes the new fix so if any other main dealers try the 'whole steering column change' reply we can put them right! ;)

ajf17
Passat model: B6

Post by ajf17 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Having the same problem. Phoned VW customer care this afternoon and was told that they log every call and knew nothing about any steering lock problems. Anyone know if changing the steering lock rather than the whole steering column is a viable option?

j33kmr

Post by j33kmr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:35 pm

yes it is cheaper if you just change the steering lock it is much cheaper,the lock cost about £80 and the dealer will charge you labour and the charge for re programming your keys and remapping the immobiliser,where as the steering column is about £300 and same labour and remapping charges,if you live any where near Luton i may be able to get you a good deal

ajf17

Post by ajf17 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks but unfortunately I'm up in Stoke. Still it's useful to know they can change the steering lock, might save me a couple of hundred quid.

kappapappa
B1
Passat model: B6 wagon

Post by kappapappa » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:00 pm

same problem started 2 week ago with mine...so had to bite the bullet and had it in at the dealers,they had it 5 days and changed the steering column and the ccm module and took £961 of me..but before i set off home in it up popped PARKING BRAKE FAULT on the display,obviously the dealer rectified this and told me that they had forgot to set the parameters up for the park brake,which i thought well fair comment we all make a booboo now and then,so off i went home with the car all ok again...the following day on my way to work SERVICE NOW message pops up,but the car had been serviced by the same dealer in feb of this year and i do know the service indicator was reset then.so the car has been back to the dealers today and not even there technicians can remove the SERVICE NOW message or reset the service indicator,my passat has now got to back to the dealers next week to have the problem sorted....

as for VW customer care well thats another story......obviously not being very happy about my 4yr old car having this steering column fault i rang vw customer care and stated my case and how unhappy i was about it..they took my details,took vehicle details,asked me about the problem,asked which dealership was doing the job.they then told me that all problems were logged and looked at and taken seriously, i even got a reference number,then told someone from VW would be in touch very soon....but im still waiting to hear from them...TYPICAL....

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:26 pm

kappapappa wrote:as for VW customer care well thats another story......obviously not being very happy about my 4yr old car having this steering column fault i rang vw customer care and stated my case and how unhappy i was about it..they took my details,took vehicle details,asked me about the problem,asked which dealership was doing the job.they then told me that all problems were logged and looked at and taken seriously, i even got a reference number,then told someone from VW would be in touch very soon....but im still waiting to hear from them...TYPICAL....
At least you have a reference number! Don't wait any longer, give them a ring and ask them what is going on and tell them about all the other people on the forums that are having the same steering lock problem! They may decide it would be a good move to reimburse you to keep you quiet!! ;)

kappapappa
B1
Passat model: B6 wagon

Post by kappapappa » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:16 pm

i did mention about the problem on other passats and had seen the problem on forums and all i got back was "its the first we have heard about it"....but dont worry when tuesday comes i'll be on the phone to them again...

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Well when you do ring them back, don't forget to tell them about the guy who owns the taxi firm in Hartfordshire that has 16 of them on his fleet and has had this problem with seven of them so far!!

Linky
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4722671

g-black
Too much time on your hands

Post by g-black » Sat May 01, 2010 9:22 am

I think VW need to take all this into account when they make the B7.

I've had mine a year. I bought it with 115k on it. So far I've spent over £1800 in maintaining it for 1 year all for common faults.

First, one of the injectors went. A problem I'm sure everyone has hurd about. Total cost including a service, £1200. Then after that both the back door locks broke. £80 a lock plus labour to fit. Again another common fault that VW are too afraid to admit to. Then just this week the slave cylinder in the clutch went. Cost for fixing this about £500. Then of course was the park brake. A useless piece of equipment that was the answer to a proplem that never really existed. What was wrong with a good old fashioned hand brake??

I've also had to fix the allignment on the car which was never right from factory. I've had a couple of VWs in the past but never any as bad as this. The B6 definatly isn't something VW should be proud off. I just hope they listen to there customers and make the B7 the car car that the B6 should have always been.

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 am

Guess What?????

I suppose it had to happen!!!! :roll:

Yes! My steering lock is defective apparently!!! :evil: Went to go out on Friday and put the key into the ignition and Awoooga!!! "Steering lock defective" flashes up on the dash!!! Happened again yesterday. After removing the key and replacing it back into the ignition everything was fine!!

Off to have an interesting conversation with the dealership on my way home today!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

g-black
Too much time on your hands

Post by g-black » Tue May 18, 2010 11:59 am

Give them hell! If you have already had some off all the other problems I wouldn't stand for it. If my steering lock goes, which it probably will, I'm not goin quietly. I think it would be time that we gathered people together from this forum and other forums and went striaght to BBC watchdog

j33kmr

Post by j33kmr » Sat May 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Mechanoid wrote:Guess What?????

I suppose it had to happen!!!! :roll:

Yes! My steering lock is defective apparently!!! :evil: Went to go out on Friday and put the key into the ignition and Awoooga!!! "Steering lock defective" flashes up on the dash!!! Happened again yesterday. After removing the key and replacing it back into the ignition everything was fine!!

Off to have an interesting conversation with the dealership on my way home today!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
yes same problem on my car,but after a while the steering lock will completely seize up and with it the immobiliser will also kick in,then you will have to have you car towed to vw to get it sorted,best to have it looked at before that happens

hutch526

Post by hutch526 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Well just thought id let you guys know whats happened to me
I've had the problem since about xmas it's probably happened 3 times in total, but this week it got worse.
on tuesday night driving home the ignition of the car died for about 3 seconds, then the car kicked back into life, no problems there really
weds night driving into work, travelling at 70 in the middle lane of the motorway, the car just died totally, about 3 seconds later, the steering lock engaged :0, luckily just me in the car and on a straight part of road i managed to bring it to a stop in the middle of the motorway and after about 10 attempts i managed to get the ignition to work again and clear the car from the motorway before getting recovered back to a vw garage.
cost me £993 to have the fault fixed and vw took no responsibility.
next week im going to talk to a solicitor to see about legal action for a dangerous problem that shouldnt exsist, cos im pretty sure you'll agree, if the steering column fails, the lock should fail dis-engaged, not engaged, if i'd been on a twisty road the outcome could of been a whole lot different.

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am

A bit of a belated update as I have been away for a couple of weeks and didn't get a chance to post beforehand.

Anyway..... Following on from may last post, I took my car into my main dealer where I have always had excellent service and descibed the problem. The service manager said "OK, I get it round to the workshop and get the guys to put it on the dignostic". I thought, 'here we go, £90 for starters'. He came back and said that yes the fault shows up as being the steering lock and would require replacing but before going ahead they would like to have a proper look and could I book it in. Well, as I will be needing the car to go to France next month I wanted it fixed sooner rather than later so booked it in the following Monday. The cost of the diagnostic? No charge! :esm

On the Monday I received the call and yes, the steering lock is the problem and would need replacing, "What about the convenience unit?" I said. "No, that's fine and doesn't require replacing" came the reply. Anyway, to cut a long story short they replaced the steering lock which, involved removing the steering column to drill out the shear bolts that holds the lock on, recoding everything including the spare key. The cost for all this? £324!!

When I collected the car on the Tuesday, I asked what exactly they had found to be the problem and the service manager got the tech guy to come out and explain exactly what was wrong and gave me the old lock. He also showed me the procedure from VW that they have to follow to replace the lock and I kid you not it is very comprehensive! Every stage must be ticked off as they work and when complete, a copy has to be sent back to VW.

Now why this apparently similar fault should be so easily fixed without a whole steering column change as in other posts is difficult to imagine. Was it a big issue to start with and now VW have come up with a 'fix' to do the job sensibly, or have other dealerships just not bothered to find out exactly what is required to do the job and take the easy route and just replace the whole steering column assembly? Who knows?

I have to say that I have always been extremely impressed with the service I have received my dealership and have never felt ripped off by any work I have had to have done there. So if you do get the dreaded steering lock failure warning, perhaps you should take a trip to Brighton and book your car in at Caffyns, Portslade, and not get ripped off!! :wink:

I still think it is an bummer that it goes wrong in the first place after 40,000 miles!

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:39 am

hutch526 wrote:Well just thought id let you guys know whats happened to me
I've had the problem since about xmas it's probably happened 3 times in total, but this week it got worse.
on tuesday night driving home the ignition of the car died for about 3 seconds, then the car kicked back into life, no problems there really
weds night driving into work, travelling at 70 in the middle lane of the motorway, the car just died totally, about 3 seconds later, the steering lock engaged :0, luckily just me in the car and on a straight part of road i managed to bring it to a stop in the middle of the motorway and after about 10 attempts i managed to get the ignition to work again and clear the car from the motorway before getting recovered back to a vw garage.
cost me £993 to have the fault fixed and vw took no responsibility.
next week im going to talk to a solicitor to see about legal action for a dangerous problem that shouldnt exsist, cos im pretty sure you'll agree, if the steering column fails, the lock should fail dis-engaged, not engaged, if i'd been on a twisty road the outcome could of been a whole lot different.
OMG!! :shock: That is the first post I have read where the steering lock has actually engaged while driving!!! When you say that VW took no responsibilty, was that directly talking to customer services at Milton Keynes or through your dealership?

reboscar

Post by reboscar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:56 pm

my car a 2006 with 75k has also developed this fault VW head office and the main dealer are not interested in helping with the costs of the repair.

The main dealer quoted £980 to replace the column and control module , when i mentioned the latest fix and even described the procedure he denied it existed and that he was supplied the latest information that day from VW and that stated changing the column and control module was required.

do any of you guys have a reference number for the latest fix i can quote to him and insist he researches it ?

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

reboscar wrote:do any of you guys have a reference number for the latest fix i can quote to him and insist he researches it ?
No But you could always get him to ring Caffyns in Portslade, Brighton and ask them how they fixed the problem? I'm sure they would confirm the fix!! Or book your car in there!!! ;-)

reboscar

Post by reboscar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:11 pm

i just called Caffyns and they explained that the fix would only work on certain models and i would have to book the car in to find out if it would be suitable for my car , unfortunately i am up in scotland so this is not an option for me.
i will talk to my dealer again and ask them to talk to Caffyns to confirm if this is possible on my car.

Mechanoid
B1

Post by Mechanoid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Well if it helps, Mine is a '55 plate 'S' model, registered in November that year! Good luck!

reboscar

Post by reboscar » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Thanks for the information on your car.
I spoke to my dealer yesterday and passed on Cafynns phone number to confirm the fix , they told me they would call them and call me back in the afternoon , they didn't !!

I called them today and now they are considering whether to carry out a that type of repair and they also admitted they didn't call Cafynns , when i asked why they wouldnt carry out a VW approved repair that was a third of the price they stated that as far as they were concerned they were informed by VW that changing the CCM and column is the the only fix but they will call me back with their decision.

will keep you updated and thanks again.

rmcnutt
still on the production line

Post by rmcnutt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:20 pm

H guys.
a started reading this post a few days back, just out of curiousity, as my "55" plate passat has suffered a few major problems recently already,
and hey u couldnt write the book on this happening, 2days after reading the post,
up pops the " stearing coloum fault, visit workshop"
cars booked in2 main dealer 4 a check on thursday 17th june. so ill await the out come,
concidering its vw..... it probably wont b pleasant. ill keep yous posted,
hopefully cars covered wtht he extended warranty i bought after the last escapade,

cars a 55 plate b6 140, 91k miles, ive owned the car 1 year and already spent a fortune on repairs,
Oil pump, £1200, turbo £1300, timing bet £530,
to say ill b slightly pee'd 2morrow if theres another bill will b an understatement, talk abt vw reliability,
what reliability ad b better off buying a hyundi,
vw must take the brunt of the failures, after all thay built it, if not ill b leaving my vw parked through the showroom window, gladly. ^#(^