Alarm Misconception

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

OmiCar
still on the production line

Alarm Misconception

Post by OmiCar »

A month ago I went to Stockport and in the hotel park someone broke into my new Passat smashing both front windows.
When I approach the car with a police officer next to me I 1st didn’t open the doors and leant through the driver’s windows and check the storage compartments. I did the same thing on the other side. The officer then asked “I thought these modern cars would have alarm”. I immediately responded that it has… “Well it didn’t go off when you leant inside it and looked through the compartments”, needless to say that all my belongings were gone.
Hummm…
I thought that it might have been tampered with and that’s why the burglars had time to smash both windows.
I reported this to my VW dealer who promptly asked for me to bring the car in.
VW checks revealed that the alarm was in good working conditions and in max. sensitivity.

Back at home I opened both windows and locked the car with the remote. Imagine I did the same thing again as when the police officer was there with me. I could inspect the whole car in the front without it to go off.
Then I opened the rear windows and locked the car again. This time I only put my arm inside the vehicle and see there it went off. I repeated it a couple of times more in the back and in the front and always the same thing.

I must say that it definitely has been developed wrongly; the sensors are right at the top of the roof pointing towards the rear of the vehicle. This way the front will never be scanned.
I can obviously not confirm that in the event a front window gets broken that the alarm won’t go off but if you leave a window open and forget about it you are definitely inviting for someone to look inside it and take all they can without the car making any noise.

Ridiculous I must say something like this from VW.

Regards

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login