suspected headgasket gone..help

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

timbaughan
Passat model: b6

suspected headgasket gone..help

Post by timbaughan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:35 pm

HI all and being a new member I am hoping someone will be able to help me solve a problem I have.

I have a b6 highline 20ltr 110hp diesel 2009 model and over the last Cpl of weeks she has been loosing water and only small amounts and I say small maybe 1/4 of a pint every 20 miles. I have removed the belly pan and can not find any water dripping from outside the engine also the engine does not overheat. nor is there water in the oil or white smoke from the exhaust and heating is working by getting to full heat instantly when needed.

There is however tiny air bubbles returning from the engine to the expansion tank.

I am a little confused after owning vw.s all my life and thats 25 years and having some mechanical experience never seen this before.

please help.

new member.

tim

DMitch16
B7
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Re: suspected headgasket gone..help

Post by DMitch16 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:23 pm

Could be a leak somewhere on your radiator especially as it is close together with the intercooler and AC condenser. Any water loss could simply evaporate. Also check on top of the gearbox under the battery as leaking coolant can collect in the gearbox mouldings from any side pipework. Other areas might be the heater matrix although the carpets in one or both of the foot wells would normally be wet by now.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

timbaughan

Post by timbaughan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks for your reply mate..I will look under battery tray tomorrow..it is odd.

Cheers.

jasimog
B4
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

Post by jasimog » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:20 am

timbaughan wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 pm
Thanks for your reply mate..I will look under battery tray tomorrow..it is odd.
In nearly 100k driving my B6 the only time I've had to pull over was for a loss of coolant alarm on the dash. Breakdown chap took off the undertray and was able to see a slow leak from the radiator, he left me with 5L of water to top up as I went and I got the car safely home. After removing the fan shroud it was obvious that the rad had been leaking for some time. At least the rad is fairly simple to swap out.

Also agree that the other weak spot is the plastic housing on the LHS of the engine block, which also holds a coolant temp sensor on my BKP engine. It should be easy to see the usual crusty deposits on top of the gearbox if it's leaking.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, clutch & DMF, Eibach Pro springs, retrofit Autohold.

timbaughan

Post by timbaughan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:30 am

I can't seem to find any external leaks and the water temp stays constant at 90..I just won't if it's a very small leak at the head gasket. But not enough to make it overheat..I have noticed on the odd time that it seems to run on 3 cylinders but clears when I rev it....

So would a small leak not make it overheat.

Tim

Dexter75

Post by Dexter75 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:58 am

timbaughan wrote:I can't seem to find any external leaks and the water temp stays constant at 90..I just won't if it's a very small leak at the head gasket. But not enough to make it overheat..I have noticed on the odd time that it seems to run on 3 cylinders but clears when I rev it....

Tim

I had the same problem mine started as a small leak that I couldn’t find anywhere but over the coarse of a couple of months it got worse to the point were 20/30 min of driving and my warning light would come on for low water so yesterday I brought a cheap long wired usb camera and attached it behind the engine on the firewall by were I suspected the leak could be from and connected it to my laptop so I could drive and look for leaks at the same time
I found the leak and mine was leaking from the outlet coupler from the heater matrix as in the attached photo and it wouldn’t leak on tick over
But once car was driving it leaked so searching for a leak when stationary was pointless as it never leaked hope this helps Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbaughan

Post by timbaughan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:10 am

Thanks..I have purchased a UV water dye and hoping it will help in me finding the leak..and I will look into that pipe too.

Cheers

ray112
B7
Passat model: B5

Post by ray112 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm

timbaughan wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:30 am
I can't seem to find any external leaks and the water temp stays constant at 90..I just won't if it's a very small leak at the head gasket. But not enough to make it overheat..I have noticed on the odd time that it seems to run on 3 cylinders but clears when I rev it....

Tim
Do you have excessive pressure in cooling system?

Through years I had about 5 cars with blown head gaskets. All of them had excessive pressure in cooling system, even blowing hoses up. None of them were overheating or mixing fluids. And all had neverending bubbles coming up into expansion tank. So if you have excessive pressure in system, I would like to think it unfortunately head gasket.

gtijames
B4
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Post by gtijames » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Would be worth eliminating the egr cooler from the system (so blank or bypass), have known coolers to leak exhaust gases into the cooling system on some newer cars.
If it's not that then looks like it will be of with the head!

timbaughan

Post by timbaughan » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 am

Bad news for me..done a UV dye test and no leaks from the pipes or any external parts ,however on inspection I found the UV dye had reached the oil filler cap so I suspect it's the head gasket gone after all..but is it possible to skim the head on the cdbc engine as vw say there heat treated.

Has anyone skimmed a cdbc head and had great lasting results.

timbaughan

Post by timbaughan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:19 am

So an update is needed..I have removed the head as the UV dye for coolent was showing in the oil..but the gasket looks to have three holes and what looks like two notches. So will I be able to have the head skimmed..and use a three hole gasket.

ray112
B7
Passat model: B5

Post by ray112 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:09 pm

I think the notches mean thickness, not holes, so you are on middle size.