2 warning lights on

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

col81
B1

2 warning lights on

Post by col81 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi, I have 2 lights on my dashboard it's a 2.0 tdi 140 manual highline plus. I have had for a few days just the orange squigly lane on with a message saying take to a garage and now the normal orange management light has come on so I have 2 on. The car is running fine but it does sound a bit louder than it did. I am ver concerned it has done 88k the car. I have little money so I am understandably worried. Any advice on possible cause? Appreciated. Colin

DMitch16
B7
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Re: 2 warning lights on

Post by DMitch16 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 pm

col81 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:44 pm
Hi, I have 2 lights on my dashboard it's a 2.0 tdi 140 manual highline plus. I have had for a few days just the orange squigly lane on with a message saying take to a garage and now the normal orange management light has come on so I have 2 on. The car is running fine but it does sound a bit louder than it did. I am ver concerned it has done 88k the car. I have little money so I am understandably worried. Any advice on possible cause? Appreciated. Colin
What year is it?

The squiggly orange / yellow pigtail light is normally the glow plug preheat light which goes off after a second or two signalling you can start the car. It doubles up however as an engine fault light (engine management) and the engine shaped yellow warning light on a VW Tdi is actually an emissions warning light (the fault is causing the emissions to fail certain parameters monitored by the Engine Control Unit or ECU). If it is sounding louder it could be a leak in the turbo boost system so visibly check the big bore rubber, metal and plastic hoses from the air filter box to the turbo, then from the turbo all the way around to the front intercooler (behind the radiator) then out again through to the intake manifold, for any leaks or loose pipe connections.

If this simple check does not reveal any issues then the only way to reveal what fault has been recorded is to hook a diagnostic tool capable of interrogating a VAG ECU and connected modules to the car (ODB connector is under the dash on the right of the steering wheel). Depending on where you are other forum members near to you with the tools necessary to scan your car (most often VCDS / VagCom) may be able to do this for beer tokens.

You should know this Colin as you had similar issues on your 170.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

col81
B1

Post by col81 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:54 am

Hi appreciate the response. I will take the cover off the engine and have a snoop about to see if I can see anything obvious. Yes i did have issues with my other car . It is a 59 plate, I am in the warrington/st Helen's area any help would be great. I will check it this am and report back

col81
B1

Post by col81 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:48 am

Cant see ant issues. The engine cover has been took off had a look around nothing obvious. Can anybody help I am happy to travel? Regards

col81
B1

Post by col81 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:10 am

The underneath (foam) of the engine cover had all corroded away and had covered the top of the engine so I have vacuumed it up and kept the cover off. It seems quieter now and isnt shuddering when idle. The engine lights are still on

passatsel230
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Post by passatsel230 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:30 pm

I live in Oldham and could probably clear the lights for you. I don't have vagcom, just Carista.
Have you been mis-sold TDi.

col81
B1

Post by col81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi that is very nice of you. By chance a rac guy has moved in this week over the road he has offered to plug in and have a look. I will let you know the outcome. I work in Bolton so it could be a option. Much appreciated

Dalo Harkin

Post by Dalo Harkin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:50 am

I work in Trafford Park and live in Stockport if you wanted codes clearing.

col81
B1

Post by col81 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 pm

Update.

Started the car this am no warning lights completed 60 mile round trip still no lights. Very odd seems to be running fine. I haven't touched the car neither has anyone else. Do forgive me but what will clearing the codes do? Kind regards

col81
B1

Post by col81 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Rac guy over the road has failed to help me. Still got the 2 engine lights on the management light is permanently on then after 5 minutes driving the squigly line lights up too. The car is shuddering slightly when at a stop. I haven been running it still. I was on the motorway and smelt a clutch like burning for a few seconds I ignored it and thought maybe it was another car then 20 minutes later I smelt it again for a few minutes then it went again. Am I best booking into a VW independent? There is one in Walkden near my work. How much will they charge just to look at it? I'm fairly desperate now. Kind regards

Dalo Harkin

Post by Dalo Harkin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:04 am

burning clutch and shuddering when at stop sounds like the clutch/flywheel

could be two unrelated issues, with the lights though

DMitch16
B7
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:37 pm

col81 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 pm
Update.

Started the car this am no warning lights completed 60 mile round trip still no lights. Very odd seems to be running fine. I haven't touched the car neither has anyone else. Do forgive me but what will clearing the codes do? Kind regards
Clearing the codes gets rid of old stored codes for problems that may have long gone or been resolved WITHOUT THE CODES BEING CLEARED.

Once cleared anything that comes back immediately or very soon after is still a problem and can be investigated / resolved. Once the current problems are fixed the codes should be cleared a) to prove the fix has worked as no identical or similar code should come back and b) so that any new issue later on is immediately identified and not hidden amongst irrelevant data.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

col81
B1

Post by col81 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:21 am

Ok I have had some luck. A guy at work has the VCDS he plugged in cleared all errors I have drove 20 Mike's and the line came back on with no engine light. He has re plugged it in it is showing a exhaust sensor or glow plug. I am not sure how accurate these are. How much is the sensor/glow plug likely to cost at a VW independent? Regards