Does B6 have same dodgy water probs as B5?

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

dentist69
B2
Passat model: B6 2.0Tdi

Does B6 have same dodgy water probs as B5?

Post by dentist69 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi all long time since I've been on here but was wondering does the B6 model Passat estate suffer from the same dodgy water ingress problems that plagued the B5 and B5.5 models in the early 00's?

I'm looking at purchasing a B6 model estate and was wondering if I should be checking under the carpet of the passenger footwell before shaking the sellers hands?

The deal is going ahead on Wednesday lunch time so I may well be back for a little while asking about silly probs with passats again :-h :-h :-h
YOU KNOW WHEN YOU START SOMETHING

THEN IT BECOMES FRUSTRATING AND EXPENSIVE

AND YOU JUST WANT TO GET TO THE END ! ! !

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Re: Does B6 have same dodgy water probs as B5?

Post by Gazwould » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Dentist , dentist why do you desire to purchase a less reliable car ?

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:34 pm

Gazwould wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 pm
Dentist , dentist why do you desire to purchase a less reliable car ?
Gaz - His signature quote actually describes typical ownership of a B6 already!! :hyst
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 pm

dentist69 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:11 pm
Hi all long time since I've been on here but was wondering does the B6 model Passat estate suffer from the same dodgy water ingress problems that plagued the B5 and B5.5 models in the early 00's?

I'm looking at purchasing a B6 model estate and was wondering if I should be checking under the carpet of the passenger footwell before shaking the sellers hands?

The deal is going ahead on Wednesday lunch time so I may well be back for a little while asking about silly probs with passats again :-h :-h :-h
Not a common B6 problem but there are plenty of others to keep you entertained!

Don't get me wrong I like my B6 but it takes you on a whole different journey! Just make sure the following has been rectified / inspected:

EPB motors replaced with upgraded versions
Oil pump drive bar and balance shaft upgraded
Tandem pump gasket inspected / replaced (PD)
Dual Mass Flywheel / clutch recently replaced
Diesel Particulate Filter recently replaced
Doesn't have a plastic swirl flap manifold
Porous / cracked head (mainly BMR 170)
In tank fuel pump replaced
Inner wishbone bushes renewed
Rear springs have no damage
Steering doesn't knock (subframe issues)

There are other fairly common issues and I have had at least 75% of all the issues out there. I have spent a bit on the car but also learned a massive amount about how to get the best out of what was a VW flop in engineering terms. Would I buy a B6 again - possibly but only because I now know a) how to fix the problem areas and b) how much that will cost 8-} :-O
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

dentist69
B2
Passat model: B6 2.0Tdi

Post by dentist69 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks Mitch that's much appreciated that!!

I have purchased said car with the following faults

Parking brake inoperable or works but sometimes sticks on = I know that to be either the electric motor on one of the calipers or the switch on the dashboard, since the seller owned up to replacing the offside not long ago and telling me straight away the nearside is having problems I knocked a couple hundred off the price

Also there's a whining from the engine when u rev it. I'm not sure about this one maybe you can enlighten me. It pulls through all the gears, the oil could do with replacing but the coolant and brake fluid look brand new, neither oil brake fluid or coolant have that burnt smell so that's good. However the seller says he was told that there is possibly a hole in a turbo pipe and that's what the noise is.
However
I would attribute something like that to produce smoke and a whistle, not a whine.
He claims the cam belt was recently replaced, tho has no proof as of yet, he claims he failed to get a receipt so that's got he thinking, tensioner on slightly too tight and the whining is a pulley or two??? It does get louder the higher the revs.

Other than the above it should make a nice tidy motor. Latvia and back 4 times is the claim on the mileage and I've no reason to disbelieve him, he had kids and is Latvian! Clutch is strong with no slip and there's no knocks anywhere, I got a couple speed bumps at pace on the test drive. It turns on a dime too!!

£1450 not too shabby for a 2.0tdi 158k motorway miles needing a caliper and/or replacement pulley or two is it??
YOU KNOW WHEN YOU START SOMETHING

THEN IT BECOMES FRUSTRATING AND EXPENSIVE

AND YOU JUST WANT TO GET TO THE END ! ! !

Gazwould
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: 1.9 AVF Sport

Post by Gazwould » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Indigo Blue Sport Wagon 0.34 m-1 blower .

I'd give her some 'trivago' .

passatsel230
Passat model: B6

Post by passatsel230 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:46 am

If you didn't spend all your money on it but kept some in reserve for sorting any issues then you will be fine. Get any problems fixed and you should be ok.

Personally I would not touch a car that did not have any paperwork no matter how cheap it was.
Have you been mis-sold TDi.