B6 front shocks

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Sullocko
Passat model: B6

B6 front shocks

Post by Sullocko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi all I'm new to forum

And I have a question .OK so after hitting a pot hole one of those ones that shatters teeth kind of deal.I found its knackered my shock.so I've fitted new shocks,spring's,mount's and strut bearings here is the but.I'm finding that the top of the spring is slipping and twanging back when manoeuvring slowly or just turning the wheel slightly.I now suspect that the strut bearing is of poor quality even after dismantling twice to try find the problem and checking everything is tight.anyone else come across this?

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Re: B6 front shocks

Post by DMitch16 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 pm

The ends of the springs normally fit into a stop each end moulded into each retaining plate top and bottom sometimes with a rubber guide to ensure no movement of the spring when it is compressed and the top nut fully tightened down. If your springs are moving then either they are not the right springs, not tightened down or located fully, the bearing is naff or the top mount or part of the assembly / bearing is possibly upside down, which is possible. The top rubber mount also has alignment arrows and must be aligned accordingly.
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

Sullocko

Post by Sullocko » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks for the info.as far as I can tell everything looks good.just apart from the strut bearing seems tight even when funeral pressure is applied I've a ordered new strut bearing's and seem if that makes a difference.it's just odd that the strut bearing's have no seats in which the spring would sit meaning it's a flat plate.the original struts are the same.weird

Sullocko

Post by Sullocko » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks for the info.as far as I can tell everything looks good.just apart from the strut bearing seems tight even when finger pressure is applied I've a ordered new strut bearing's and seem if that makes a difference.it's just odd that the strut bearing's have no seats in which the spring would sit meaning it's a flat plate.the original struts are the same.weird

DMitch16
B6

Post by DMitch16 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 pm

Sullocko wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:06 am
Thanks for the info.as far as I can tell everything looks good.just apart from the strut bearing seems tight even when finger pressure is applied I've a ordered new strut bearing's and seem if that makes a difference.it's just odd that the strut bearing's have no seats in which the spring would sit meaning it's a flat plate.the original struts are the same.weird
Strut bearings on early B6 models are plastic with a metal disc plate and fit into the top mount allowing the strut to rotate.

http://m.mister-auto.co.uk/en/suspensio ... lsrc=aw.ds
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

DMitch16
B6

Post by DMitch16 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Looking at my old top mounts which are still good (didn't need changing but I put new shocks etc. on so thought I'd do the lot - even the bearings under compression are still smooth so I might clean them up and sell them for a few quid) there is a rubber locating peg on the rubber bush but no spring locator on the bearing which as you state is just a metal disc plate. In the back of my mind and without looking at the car, as it's cold and snowing, I seem to have a thin disc in mind (rubber, plastic or other) that fits over the bearing plate with a locator indent for the spring to stop it rotating independently of the bearing. Could be wrong but it would make sense although under full compression the spring should not rotate if the bearing is seated correctly and rotating smoothly (the bearing movement is loose and rough when off the car however and should be assessed when compressed as it properly functions under load).

This help at all?
253411100.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mad Mitch