TPS

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

robgil
B2
Passat model: B6 Estate 08 CR

TPS

Post by robgil » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:53 pm

They told me I need an account and to own a garage, how do you guys buy stuff from them?

ct.p
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: B5.5 H'Line Est

Re: TPS

Post by ct.p » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Some of them are like that, not all will sell to the public.
VCDS and Vagtacho in Maidenhead Berks

dtr
B1
Passat model: B6

Post by dtr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Is there a list of the ones open to public? It may be useful.They seem to be cheaper than dealerships.

I generally get my stuff from ebay or eurocarparts, sometimes andrew page depending on price and urgency.

maclee
B6
Passat model: B3

Post by maclee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 pm

From my experience as a non-account, non-trade customer they are cheaper on SOME parts, but only some. Generally speaking I have found their prices lower on certain fast moving items, but it is not always so. For example, when I was looking for a MAF sensor for my car TPS were actually a couple of quid more than the main agent, (though, to be fair, they did have it in stock so it was worth that tiny bit more to be able to get the job done the same day).

I suspect they are cheaper than a main agent IF you have an account with them, and that the main attraction to an independent garage is that TPS have a delivery service.

If you go there for an exhaust and they offer you the 'genuine VW budget range', (part numbers starts JZW), run for the hills... they are rubbish!

dtr
B1

Post by dtr » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 pm

... Or JZW shock absorbers. Utter trash. Lasted less than 20k miles.

DMitch16
B6
Passat model: B6 Sport 170 DSG

Post by DMitch16 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

robgil wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:53 pm
They told me I need an account and to own a garage, how do you guys buy stuff from them?
I find most parts cheaper than TPS whether they be from UK based outlets (ECP, GSF and others) or on the Continent (Mister Auto, Auto Doc or ATP) but when I do use them I have a TPS branch behind a local VW dealer and just tell them that the dealer did not have the part(s) in stock and referred me to them. Has always worked so far!
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

robgil
B2
Passat model: B6 Estate 08 CR

Post by robgil » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 pm

That's strange, Ipswich TPS is right behind VW as well.

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:11 pm

For some genuine items TPS is the place, specifics like some bolts, nuts, seals, connectors etc, specific stuff.

Often service and consumable items too.

Generally it depends what you want, lots of items are so specific to a VAG model you might struggle getting them at any price elsewhere, such as a myriad of trim items.

The Newcastle one is fine when I go, but I usually know exactly what I want even part numbers, or when I dont know numbers we can look at etka and I can specifically desrcibe what Im after to the point where were quickly looking at the right place.

Its been a few years but the Aberdeen one was ok too.

Often they wont order anything unless you can tell them part numbers, and if you cant and get it wrong they might not consider returns either.

If you walk in looking and sounding like joe public with little or no idea what youre asking for they wont be so keen, they dont want that custom theyre really more a make specific motor factors and trade supplier.
To be unforgettable is to be unforgivable!

“Amor Fati" – “Love Your Fate”, which is in fact your life.

ShaneB
B2

Post by ShaneB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:28 am

The Crawley one has always been good, I work for one of the bigger companies in the town who deal with Motorline VW and they tend to pass on the discounts to staff. Admittedly I always go in knowing what I'm after so they don't have too much to complain about, they've ordered in my EGT sensors for me as well as they haven't been stock items but little or no discount on that type of thing. Oil, air, fuel and cabin filters, new sump plug and 5 litres of oil usually comes in at under £70.
Volkswagen Passat B5.5 130 Bhp, 1.9 TDI Sport Wagon, Silver Blue Metallic. 200K and still going strong (SOLD).
Mistaken dabble with a Civic CDT-i (SOLD)
2010 Volswagen Passat B6 140 Bhp, 2.0 TDI Highline Wagon, Silver Grey Metallic

DMitch16
B6

Post by DMitch16 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 am

ShaneB wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:28 am
The Crawley one has always been good, I work for one of the bigger companies in the town who deal with Motorline VW and they tend to pass on the discounts to staff. Admittedly I always go in knowing what I'm after so they don't have too much to complain about, they've ordered in my EGT sensors for me as well as they haven't been stock items but little or no discount on that type of thing. Oil, air, fuel and cabin filters, new sump plug and 5 litres of oil usually comes in at under £70.
The 'local' one I was referring to is in Manor Royal as I worked in Horley up until last year! The miserable t w a t in that VW dealership parts dept is far from helpful!
Mad Mitch
B6 2007 2.0 Tdi 170 Sport DSG, BMR Engine, Phone Kit, Alarm chirps, Fogs as DRLs, Rain Auto Closure + VCDS MicroCAN, Double Oil Pump Drive Failure! Still Going 200K Club

ShaneB
B2

Post by ShaneB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 am

DMitch16 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 am

The 'local' one I was referring to is in Manor Royal as I worked in Horley up until last year! The miserable t w a t in that VW dealership parts dept is far from helpful!
I used to work in Salfords before moving to Manor Royal, must admit, have never set foot inside the main dealership, have always gone to TPS.
Do you still work in the area now, looking for a someone to do a couple of jobs on mine that I just don't have time for?
Volkswagen Passat B5.5 130 Bhp, 1.9 TDI Sport Wagon, Silver Blue Metallic. 200K and still going strong (SOLD).

DMitch16
B6

Post by DMitch16 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:05 pm

ShaneB wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 am
DMitch16 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 am

I used to work in Salfords before moving to Manor Royal, must admit, have never set foot inside the main dealership, have always gone to TPS.
Do you still work in the area now, looking for a someone to do a couple of jobs on mine that I just don't have time for?
No not now as transferred to our Chichester office as it was 20 miles nearer to where I live in Rustington. Until I get a decent garage sorted out (means another house too though #-o ) the jobs I do are either on the driveway or up at the old man's in High Wycombe (double garage and pretty much all the tools you could possibly need).
Mad Mitch

ShaneB
B2

Post by ShaneB » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm

DMitch16 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:05 pm

No not now as transferred to our Chichester office as it was 20 miles nearer to where I live in Rustington. Until I get a decent garage sorted out (means another house too though #-o ) the jobs I do are either on the driveway or up at the old man's in High Wycombe (double garage and pretty much all the tools you could possibly need).
That's a shame. Can you recommend anyone else in the area to do the rear bushes, alignment and possibly check and if necessary replace the worn parts of the oil pump (I'm on 90k and I swear it's getting noisier than it used to be)?

DMitch16
B6

Post by DMitch16 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm

ShaneB wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm
DMitch16 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:05 pm

That's a shame. Can you recommend anyone else in the area to do the rear bushes, alignment and possibly check and if necessary replace the worn parts of the oil pump (I'm on 90k and I swear it's getting noisier than it used to be)?
Do all my work myself so wouldn't know anyone to recommend. Rear bushes - which ones, the inner wishbone ones? They are the most common failures that directly affect tracking. Fairly easy to replace (especially with Polys as no press needed to install them) but getting the old ones off is the trial as the bolts seize inside the bush centre tube. Track my car with homemade gear courtesy of the old man (retired RAF engineer). Oil pump parts are not really to do with the pump but the balancer unit. You just need the appropriate re-engineered KMB Direct balance shaft kit (£215), new longer drive bar (included) and new mounting bolts (VW/TPS) plus someone who knows how to do this job and has the tools necessary including the timing lock tools with shaft alignment piece. Trouble is the sump is sealed not gasketed so a check involves dropping the sump and resealing it afterwards (no other way).
Mad Mitch