Newbie Needing Help Air Con / Blower problems

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

Treble_T
Passat model: CC 2.0 litre TDI

Newbie Needing Help Air Con / Blower problems

Post by Treble_T » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:55 am

Good morning
I'm a new member and have a 2011 Passat CC 140 bhp.
I am having intermittent problems with the blower / air conditioning Climatronic unit and don't know where I can go with my problem.
In the mornings the blower occasionally works and the air will blow over the windscreen etc as requested.
If I go back into the car a few hours later and try to put the climatronic unit on, there is no air flow at all but the display is lit up as if the air was
still blowing. You can also hear the movement of the vents etc which indicates that the control of the vents etc is still operable - it's just that there is no air flowing through them.
To add to my confusion, it was very cold this morning -1°C and the unit worked as though it was brand new. :-o

At first I thought it was an air conditioning problem and suspected I needed the refrigerant topped up, but if it was just the 'gas' that was low, I would still expect the blower to still work but sadly that is not the case. The Climatronic unit seems to have a mind of it's own.
I have searched the forum for similar problems using the search tool but nothing pops up.
Any advice respectfully accepted :-bd
Treble_T

Jarek
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B6 Estate

Re: Newbie Needing Help Air Con / Blower problems

Post by Jarek » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 am

Does this happen on all speeds? As in on 1, 2, 3 and 4 or just on some of them?
There is a resistor on the fan and that often burns out with the time. Search here or google for "heater resistor" and you will find the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treble_T

Post by Treble_T » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 am

Jarek wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 am
Does this happen on all speeds? As in on 1, 2, 3 and 4 or just on some of them?
There is a resistor on the fan and that often burns out with the time. Search here or google for "heater resistor" and you will find the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply - To answer your question the fault is intermittent but when it works I can get the variable speeds as required. When it is on the manual setting I can get one light up to the max of ten lights as the blower speed increases. (I don't have settings 1,2,3 & 4 etc)

Jarek
Too much time on your hands
Passat model: B6 Estate

Post by Jarek » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:02 am

Probably still the same problem but I would suggest you get it scanned with VCDS or similar fault code reader to double check.

Treble_T

Post by Treble_T » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks Jarek. I will do as you advise and take it from there. I have a friend who has the vag com? Software so I'll ask him to scan it for me. Would you recommend a cheaper scanner that I could buy for myself?
Cheers

Treble_T

Post by Treble_T » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Treble_T wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm
Thanks Jarek. I will do as you advise and take it from there. I have a friend who has the vag com? Software so I'll ask him to scan it for me. Would you recommend a cheaper scanner that I could buy for myself?
Cheers
Update: I got an autoelectrician to check over the blower motor and after a good clean he got it working again. The resistor pack turned out to be ok.
Thanks for all your help mate :-bd

smoky
still on the production line
Passat model: B6

Post by smoky » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:35 am

Hi Treble_T

I had the same problem early this year, I done the same thing I cleaned the unit but it lasted only for few weeks, permanent fix was replace brushes on motor, have a look here

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewto ... 85#p742185