Dropping rear subframe?

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: desertstorm, vwnutant, water01

jasimog
B4
Passat model: B6 Saloon, BKP

Dropping rear subframe?

Post by jasimog »

B6 Saloon.

I've been replacing rear suspension bushes on and off over the last couple of days, trailing arms and track rods done on both sides so far.

But (no great surprise) I'm having real issues with the eccentric bolts on the lower and upper transverse links. On the ones I've tried so far (nearside) the bolts are corroded inside the bushes. I managed to (carefully) cut out the lower link from the subframe with an angle grinder but access to the upper link is a nightmare. The nut came off fine, but the bolt is solid.

Even if I put everything back together, with the work done so far I'll still need a full four wheel alignment, so I really do need to sort these eccentric bolts. Last resort would be to get the garage to do the upper links before an alignment.

However, I can see that the whole rear subframe assembly is attached by just four bolts. There's only the rear brake pipes in the way (and I'm due a fluid change anyway) so on paper it looks like it might be easier to drop the whole subframe and work on the eccentric bolts with it off the car. Rear subframe removal isn't covered in Haynes, so I've I've got no real guide as to whether I'll cause even more problems by dropping it.

Grateful for any advice.
MY06 B6 Saloon SE, BKP. Self fitted: KMB balance shaft, recon turbo, clutch & DMF, Eibach Pro springs, cambelt, retrofit Autohold. 200K club.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login