P0299 and not recording fault

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Lybster
Passat model: B6

P0299 and not recording fault

Post by Lybster »

I have a 2.0 TDI 2007 automatic estate model , bought secondhand about 2 years ago. Until a month ago it was working very well. Serviced locally since my nearest VW shop is 95 miles away.

Over the last month I've had the P0299 error 4 times but I've had other problems which haven't caused an error to be recorded. Typically I'll be driving along (could be uphill or on the flat, not sure about downhill) and the engine starts spluttering, as if suffering from fuel starvation. Generally I can knock it into neutral, floor the throttle a few times and it picks up and revs. A few times its cut out, and 4 times its come up with a fault which I now know to be P0299. Park for a few minutes and it will start and run happily, apart from cruise control not working. Leave it parked while in Tesco's and when I come out every thing including cruise is fine.

It seems to get worse as the tank gets emptier, but that might be me misremembering. Just topped up today and c20 miles with no problems.

After a P0299 fault and I get the car restarted there's a fair cloud out of the exhaust which stops after a few moments.

I've been researching on the web and the nearest thing I can find that matches my symptoms is a blocked fuel tank vent but the mechanic tells me that would generate an error (I did try undoing the filler cap the last error and there was a sound of air being sucked in). He's good in that he doesn't want to just go changing parts and costing me a fortune until he knows what the problem is but I don't think the diagnostics/lack of are helping either of us.

The mechanic has run VCDS and the P0299 is the only fault showing off all the computers.

When the non-recorded fault occurs there is a sound almost, but not quite like, the starter motor trying to turn the engine over.

Its intermittent, can occur after a few feet, hundred yards or a few miles and seems to be getting more frequent.

Any suggestions for areas to investigate?

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login