Electronic Parking Brake Switch

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

IN8
B1
Passat model: B6

Electronic Parking Brake Switch

Post by IN8 »

Hi I had the dreaded EPB problem Sunday and so did a bit of searching on the forum here and on one or two others including the facebook page so I thought I would share what I found.

A few people suggested holding the switch in while I restarted the car (foot on brake) to release it.

Didn’t work for me.

The next least complicated ‘fix’ suggested was this:

1. Unlock car
2. Unplug negative terminal keeping keys out of the way (so you don’t accidentally press anything) and leave unplugged for 10 seconds or so.
3. Reconnect
4. Lock car
5. Unlock car
6. Insert key to light up dash but don’t start car
7. Remove key
8. Lock car for 10 seconds
9. Unlock car
10. Insert key but don’t power up
11. Unlock park brake with foot on brake YAY!!!
12. Power up
13. Warning lights may be (anti skid control, tyre pressure, steering etc)
14. A quick drive round the block should correct the above if not into VW for resetting.

Again didn’t work for me. So the last ‘fix’ was one suggested by fsnas on Passat World that I altered slightly:

Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then reconnect again. Press the brakes for 35 seconds, then whilst pressing the brakes press the e-brake button for 10 seconds, start the car, (still holding in the button and foot on brake) then the car's computer will restart and the problem will be fixed.

Worked!

Also through searching I found that a new switch is needed and that mine most likely has a part number ending in B and that I should fit the C version and have a software update done at the same time.

After searching through different threads I thought it might be best to put this into one post for future reference.
Last edited by IN8 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login