Tyre wear problems

something you need to ask , technical help here.

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

shady blue two
B1

Tyre wear problems

Post by shady blue two »

Hi,

My 170 Sport Manual Estate, has just had it's 20,000 mile service. The car was new in October 2007.

I mentioned to the stealer that I wondered if one of the rear wheel bearings were rumbling.

The stealer checked it out and found the front tyres were down to 3mm and would need replacing soon.

The inner side of the treads of both rear tyres were feathering a bit and this was the noise and the stealer's techy said that he had seen this wear on a number of B6's; he went on to say that its is not the Pzeros either as some of them come with Michelins and they too have the same problem.

Well the front tyres are wearing evenly but as this car is quite heavy at the front and the 170 is a very torquey lump I guess this mileage is about right. I am reasonably happy with the Pzero's but I have no experiance with other makes of tyres. :|

My concern is the rear tyres feathering which sounds like a geometry problem to me. :(

Most of the time the rear tyres are trailing behind the fronts which do take most of the steering and braking, power transmision etc.

Anyone else experianced this rear tyre wearing problem ?

I have to take the car back on Friday to have the starter motor replaced under warranty; as the Starter motor is making horrible graunching type noises, again not unheard of :evil: Luckily it is straight forward job. I am beginning to feel that VW should perhaps spend more time with making it's cars less troublesome rather than muck about with electric handbrakes which frankly I feel are unneccessary and conventional handbrakes are perfectly ok !!!

This topic has 35 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login