Whining noise when driving

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

AlphaWhiskeyXray
Passat model: B7

Whining noise when driving

Post by AlphaWhiskeyXray »

I have a new to me 2012 2.0 TDI SE BLUEMOTION 140PS 6 speed manual Passat. All was going well until I noticed a gentle whining sound when I got above 40kph. It’s gotten louder since and is now quite annoying! The faster the speed, the louder the whining.It seems to be related just to wheel speed and not engine speed as when I coast with clutch pressed (revs at idle) the sound stays the same. There seems to be no difference no matter what gear it’s in, or even in neutral. I’ve brought it to a mechanic to check wheel bearings, he had it up on a ramp and checked all wheels and said it’s not a bearing. I got the wheels balanced and rotated the tyres, no change. Am I looking at gearbox issues I wonder? I have engine and gearbox warranty but the dealer is a couple of hours away so would rather troubleshoot it before i bring it up to him.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login