ABS Woes

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Penneyben
Passat model: B7

ABS Woes

Post by Penneyben »

Hello all,

I am having a bit of a nightmare with my ABS system, having read some of the other ABS posts on here, nothing I try seems to work.

I had the ABS, hill hold, and tire pressure warning lights come on together, and at startup a warning message of error abs/esp fault appears. No problem I thought, plugged in to vcds, got a fault code of 3841 and 1325, rear left abs sensor and tps respectively. Then carried out research on here, found it to be a fairly common fault, cured by replacement of the sensor.

I thought as an electrical problem my first area to check would be fuses, couldn't find a diagram for the abs location on the fuse boards, so I checked every fuse, no faults found. Then inspected the condition of the wiring, found no obvious damage, and checked for shorts with a multimeter, again no fault found. So I was pretty certain it was the sensor. Had problems sourcing an original sensor, so I opted for an Ernst Wahl "OEM quality", part. On arrival I fitted it, went for test drive, the fault was however still present. I plugged in vcds, reset the fault code, it disappeared for approximately 2 seconds then reappeared. I performed an output test, to check the outputs of all sensors whilst spinning the wheels, all the other wheel sensors are reading figures fine. At the this point I took apart the rear right side and compared the condition of the pickup rings on the back of the hubs, both sides look identical, with no obvious signs of increased wear or damage to the left. I checked again online, found a supplier of genuine ATE parts, the part I had originally removed was marked ATE on one side, and VW on the reverse. So I ordered a genuine ATE sensor, it arrived Friday, and I fitted it this morning. I cleared fault codes using vcds, but the faults reappear after approximately 2 seconds. I thought maybe clearing the faults whilst moving might help, so I went for a drive around the car park at work, and cleared the codes, they stayed cleared.....hurrah I thought, until I slowed down. "Bing, Bing bing", all three warning lights reappeared.

logically I guess the next port of call is the ABS module, has anyone had success doing this? Are there any tests I can carry out to the module? I was thinking I could make some sort of piggyback wire to copy the signal for the working rear right across to the rear left wires, assuming the fault clears, I can be fairly certain it isn't the abs module then? if this works, then I guess it has to be either the wires, sensor or the pick up ring on the rear of the hub.

Does anyone have any ideas?

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login