Should it stay or should it Go ?

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Arragonis
B1
Passat model: B7

Should it stay or should it Go ?

Post by Arragonis »

Sad to say it after just posting about VAG-COM etc, I'm pondering getting rid of the Passat. The Passat in question is my 2014 1.6 TDi Exec manual.

I can't say in it's current form I look forward to driving it, but I don't mind driving it either. Its a little bit like my washing machine - it does the job with no fuss but I don't lie awake thinking "only 3 more sleeps to washing day".

So here goes:

Positives
Excellent MPG - ~60-65 tank to tank usually, drops to mid-50s in winter.
Quiet & Comfy on a long journey (done Brum to Embra without stopping a few times), cruise is great.
Looooong range (850+ miles on a tank) means I fill up every 5-6 weeks in normal home-work driving
£30 tax. In fact it has cost very little overall - insurance is cheap (inc. business use), services are cheap, nothing has broken except a heating vent in the rear end of the centre console.
Space in the back for a lot of stuff
Good equipment levels
Looks nice-ish.

Negatives
Its a bit slow - OK I chose the 1.6 and drive for economy more than speed, but even I find it goes off boost quite a lot and needs quite a bit of gear changing to maintain speed. Overtaking is not an option often.
I've never got to like the handling - I replaced the dire EcoContacts with RainSports which has improved the grip but a lot of bump steer and hop on rough roads. In short it doesn't feel secure although everything is aligned correctly.
Related to the above, the steering is quite low geared.
It rattles and squeeks quite a bit inside - not that solid feel.
Also not had the enthusiasm to sort those rattles and don't wash it as much as I did my Aygo - maybe that is telling ?
Its had a bash and been repaired prior to my ownership - I know where and I negotiated the price based on that, I got a good deal.

All this sounds like I have fallen out with it but at the same time I have some ideas and plans. I'd like to look at lowering if that would help the handling. I'd also like to get a set of those "Heritage" alloys to be a little out of the ordinary in terms of looks - not found any cheap enough yet. I'd also like to ponder a remap so I get 1.6 economy in normal driving with maybe 2.0 performance when needed - does anyone do a 1.6 remap ?

I also hate to buy cars - although the Mrs would disagree. I do look forward to a new one as any car person would. But the money spent (usually several £ks) is money I could be spending on something else more important - a few hundred or thousand on improvements over time seems better. I also fancy owning this until it does 100K at least (34K now).

Thoughts please.

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login