Front tyre queries

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Stuart W
still on the production line
Passat model: B7 2014 1.6 TDi

Front tyre queries

Post by Stuart W »

My 2014 B7 has done 27,000 miles and the front tyres need replaced. They're the original Contiseal 235/45 R17, so they've done well to get to that mileage.

However, when I enter my reg number in the online databases the tyre specified is 235/40 R18. Would this just be an error in the database, or I'm I missing something? The car is otherwise identified OK.

The tyres haven't worn too evenly, but in truth it's a while since I've had fronts which wore evenly. The car is used as a taxi, so lots of turning etc, which probably doesn't help. However, even since new the car has felt a bit funny steering-wise - no obvious pull, but just that vague sensation that something's not quite right.

Also, there's a bit of a droning noise from the driver's side front wheel at higher speeds. Could this be the tyre, or might it be a wheel bearing? I replaced one bearing on my old B6, but that was at 100,000 miles, and I don't think there's any real history of bearing problems with the B6, and I assume the B7 is similar?

Of course, there was a well known problem with tyre noise on the B6 *rear* tyres, so could this be a similar problem on the front tyres? There are complaints online about this kind of thing, but is there any consistent history with the B7 in that regard? Not sure if there's a similar noise from the nearside, because for obvious reasons I probably wouldn't hear it so well.

This topic has 11 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login