1.6 diesel versus 2.0 - long term issues?

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

newboy
B4
Passat model: B6 estate

1.6 diesel versus 2.0 - long term issues?

Post by newboy »

I'm thinking of chopping in my faithful old 57 reg 1.9 TDI B6 wagon, and am looking at both the 1.6 and the 2.0 B7s. TBH I only do about 10K a year, but two thirds of that is motorway. Aiming to buy @ about 3 years and keep the car for 6-7 years.

The wife has a 59 reg 1.6 CR Golf, which is 'adequate' for BHP (103) but needs more gear-changing than my 1.9, even though they both have the same BHP. I'm expecting that with the extra weight of the estate Passat on the motorway I'd notice the difference with a 1.6 rather than my 1.9 - but I could (possibly) live with that if the price is right.

I'm also aware that the stated mpg on the 1.6 CR is a complete fairy story. The wife's 1.6 Golf gets about 46 mpg, compared with the 50 mpg that I'm getting from my old 1.9 turbo diesel, and nowhere near the claimed 64 mpg. Bigger question, though, is whether the 2.0 CR is stronger/better engineered than the 1.6 over the long term? Any particular issues I should know about?

Which 1.6 models come with cruise control? Questions, questions.

Cheers

This topic has 6 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login