New tyres returning more mpg on my B7

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

hwang2000
B5.5
Passat model: b7

New tyres returning more mpg on my B7

Post by hwang2000 »

I recently replaced the front pair of 235/45/17 Continental Sport Contact 3, equiped with ContiSeal.

I was wanting Continental Sport Contact 5 as these have better fuel efficency than the original Conti 3. However these were not allowed by the leasing company and they insisted on Pirelli P Zero Rosso. The new ratings show thats they would use more fuel than the Conti 5 and are noisy .I complained and pointed out it was a blue motion and the full purpose of this car was to keep the CO2 low. I was surprised when they agreed and offered the Michellin Primacy 3 tyres, which cost more then the Cont 5. The Michellin had the same ratings as the Conti 5 and as I do like Michelin, I took them and ran!!

When they removed my old tyres i could see they were Contiseal tryes. Which made me wonder about the original tyres. If you get the Contact 5 with Contiseal it drops it from a C to E rating for fuel consumption. The Conti 3 already starts at E, so does this mean they are G with the Contiseal fitted ? Also the wet grip lowers one letter.

Now these new ratings I just take with a pinch of salt. However since fitting the Michelins the car is getting another 2mpg or about 4%. So I think it is time to put them on the rear and burn out the rear tyres out, to get of the Contiseal that is costing the car mpg.

Apart from using less fuel the car feels the same on the Michelins. I can still drive through a huge puddle and never aquaplane!! It should be quieter, but I cannot tell. The only real difrence is the steering is now lighter, but it still feels as if it is not connected to the wheels!

So what is everyone else running after the originals wear out and have you also found an increase in MPG?

This topic has 24 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login