Clutch pedal not returning

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: desertstorm, water01, vwnutant

mbpassat
Passat model: B7

Clutch pedal not returning

Post by mbpassat » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:49 am

Have a 60 plate 1.6 TDI with around 90,000 miles on the clock.

Without warning in traffic my clutch pedal didn't return. Managed to get it working temporarily by lifting it back up with my foot, but this only worked for 1 set of traffic lights before failing totally.

Car was recovered to my local garage, but due to shortage of mechanics they can't look at it for several weeks! Not good for summer holidays!

I normally don't touch modern cars, but am happy to try fixing this myself - I maintain my own classic cars!

If I managed to get the car back to my house, what I am letting myself in for?

I'm assuming the clutch is hydraulically operated with a slave and master cylinder and something with these or the linkage has failed. Any thoughts on common issues here and if its a repair that is sensible to undertake myself?

gtijames
B4
Passat model: B5.5 highline

Re: Clutch pedal not returning

Post by gtijames » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Check for leaks between the engine/gearbox or fluid loss indicating a slave cylinder leak.
If no signs of a leak then sounds like a master cylinder.

chillout1983
B3
Passat model: b7

Post by chillout1983 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:30 pm

With a bit of luck hopefully it's your master cylinder that has failed and not your slave cylinder, Do you have any broken bits in your footwell ?

Mindriot
UKPassat's Possie
Passat model: T5 2.5 4MO Kombi

Post by Mindriot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 pm

A garage that cant be bothered with work for weeks, id have laughed at them and had it uplifted and taken elsewhere if they couldnt improve that answer immediately.

Could be hydraulics or it could be a failed clutch return spring, its gearbox off if its a fault in the bellhousing/cutch plate area.

However, the slave cylinder is in there on the motion shaft too, so if its that its gearbox and bellhousing off anyway!

If you can afford it i'd let someone else take the hassle.

chillout1983
B3
Passat model: b7

Post by chillout1983 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:07 pm

If it is an internal issue it may be worth replacing the clutch and flywheel as your pretty much at that stage and that may save you in the long run if they are less than perfect.

aland
Passat model: B7

Post by aland » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:09 am

Hopefully it will be the master cylinder as the 2.0 has a concentric slave cylinder inside the bell housing, so probably the 1.6 also. Possibly your car just avoided it and you have an external slave cylinder. In any case it's very straightforward and conventional to remove the gearbox with a few provisos:
- you need some triple square bits for the driveshafts, dmf if you have one, possibly clutch
- the rear attachments to the subframe can be tight
- with a few jacks and blocks it could be a one man job but the entire unit has to be rotated as you extract it, so needs a rope and supporting from above which demands some endurance and understanding neighbours.

There are useful videos on youtube.