ESP, PARKING BRAKE LAMP ON PERMANENTLY

VW have now released there NEW passat range. Please add any technical know how or info into here. NO FOR SALE/PARTS/TALK here..

Moderators: vwnutant, desertstorm, water01

chunks
still on the production line
Passat model: B7

ESP, PARKING BRAKE LAMP ON PERMANENTLY

Post by chunks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 am

my dash board looks like a night club right now, the ESP ABS light is on, parking brake lamp, and flat tyre, also start stop not working, any ideas please and roughly how much to fix, tia

Kartman
B2
Passat model: B6 CC GT TDI 205

Re: ESP, PARKING BRAKE LAMP ON PERMANENTLY

Post by Kartman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am

Likely to be an issue with an ABS wheel speed sensor. You would need to get a diagnostic scan done first with VCDS or similar to determine which one and then determine whether it is the sensor, wiring or hub at fault.

chunks

Post by chunks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am

thanks Kartman, will it be dangerous to drive for another week, as im on holiday right now and cannot get anywhere to fix it

Kartman
B2

Post by Kartman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 am

chunks wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am
thanks Kartman, will it be dangerous to drive for another week, as im on holiday right now and cannot get anywhere to fix it
Not necessarily, I drove mine like that for several months but you must realise your ABS will not function. I am used to driving classics cars with no ABS or any electrical assistance, but if you are not you should be wary of the effects of no ABS.

If driven sensibly leaving plenty of stopping distance from the car in front you shouldn't have any issues, but should you to have to perform an emergency stop or brake heavily then you could lock up the wheels and skid.

Also note that the handbrake will not automatically apply like it used to, and that if you do get a flat tyre, as the light is already on, you would not know so worth keeping an eye on your tyres.

So sure while on holiday take it easy but the best advice is to get it sorted as soon as possible really.

cornishbloke
Passat model: B7 Highline BMT

Post by cornishbloke » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:55 pm

abs sensor. ive hd both back wheel sensor fault and changed, safe to drive.

Battler
Passat model: B7 cc gt

Post by Battler » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:38 pm

Replaced both of my rear ABS sensors, one went a matter of weeks after the other, found replacements on eBay for around £28 each from Germany took around 4 days to turn up and 20mins to change

Richardmo

Post by Richardmo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi Chuck . Agreed with Kartman it's save to drive as long as you bear in mind that you will not have the function of ABS?

With modern cars if problems with the ABS system occurs the brake will defaults to basic systems , as in non ABS equipped vehicles ! So in that regard you are save.
Out of interest, have you had problem fixed? If so can you share so details? For I have had the same exact problem couple weeks ago and just managed to resolve it.Basically I followed what Battler said posted above! ONLY after I tryed buying several new replacement parts from reputable companies and they were all non compatible with my 2012 Passat b7 20td despite same matching numbers????
It was very annoying because I experienced similar problems a few months ago??? This was the left rear wheel?

Anyway , it's sorted now ! So only replace with exact specific part ! I.e. Same manufacturer, exact markings on it and the numbers and lettering. Believe me anything else it WILL NOT WORK.

Hope this helps.

chunks

Post by chunks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:29 am

thanks kartman, i haveonly just managed to get my car booked in for the abs and esp light on, also flat tyre and parking brake. I was just wondering, i had the five spoke wheels on my car and replaced them with the cc sirocco wheels, could this have caused the lights to come on, although all same dimensions, also would it be worth me buying my own sensors or leave it up to the garage, tia

Kartman
B2

Post by Kartman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 am

chunks wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:29 am
thanks kartman, i haveonly just managed to get my car booked in for the abs and esp light on, also flat tyre and parking brake. I was just wondering, i had the five spoke wheels on my car and replaced them with the cc sirocco wheels, could this have caused the lights to come on, although all same dimensions, also would it be worth me buying my own sensors or leave it up to the garage, tia
The wheels shouldn't have made a difference. They could have set the flat tyre light off initially if they had different tread depths but you would then have been able to reset that. However if all the lights came on immediately after fitting them then an abs sensor wire could have been disturbed in the process. It may not yet be a sensor could also be a worn bearing or split/damaged wiring. Let them diagnose it first I would think and see what they say, if a sensor needs to be fitted then I highly advise a genuine one with the exact same part numbers as many have found that non-genuine ones simply don't work. Let us know how you get on in the garage. Thanks

chunks

Post by chunks » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:15 am

will do and thanks very much

chunks

Post by chunks » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:47 pm

hi, jist an update on what i previously posted, cars been in today, they changed the right hand side rear sensor so now all is good. It was the price they charged that wasnt good, £170 just for that, he did say if its not sensor, could be the hub at an extra cost in total of £230, but turned out just sensor. If anyones got better ideas in case theres a next time, i would love to know, anyway guys, thanks for your help, best ive had it done as i pull a touring caravan at times

Kartman
B2

Post by Kartman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:04 pm

chunks wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:47 pm
hi, jist an update on what i previously posted, cars been in today, they changed the right hand side rear sensor so now all is good. It was the price they charged that wasnt good, £170 just for that, he did say if its not sensor, could be the hub at an extra cost in total of £230, but turned out just sensor. If anyones got better ideas in case theres a next time, i would love to know, anyway guys, thanks for your help, best ive had it done as i pull a touring caravan at times
Glad it is sorted, at least for now. Not the worst price I guess, there will be a standard diagnostic fee plus sensor cost and a bit of labour so to be expected. Sounds about right for a hub too as a genuine part is 90 quid from memory. Hopefully there is not a next time :-bd

chunks

Post by chunks » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:18 pm

thanks Kartman