1.9 Oil filter housing gasket leaking - AWX

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

mattbarber
B2
Passat model: B5.5 Highline

1.9 Oil filter housing gasket leaking - AWX

Post by mattbarber »

Hi all,

2004 1.9 AWX - leaking oil filter housing gasket, where it meets the block.

Tried sealing it along the top, but the leak just starts at a different point...nightmare.

Has anyone tried to tackle this job? Looks like 4 bolts holding it to the block. There is a couple of coolant lines going to the oil cooler at the bottom. Plus I've noticed a hard oil feed line that goes to the turbo.

Looks like that hard line will have to come off to allow me to pull the housing away and fit the new gasket....but....I guess the hard line will empty itself, how do I then start the engine without starving the turbo of oil...all be it perhaps for a few seconds on first start up after replacing the gasket.
Will there still be enough residue oil in the turbo to protect it whilst starting it?

Is this job best done on a proper ramp? Looks like from underneath the subframe will get in the way....

What's the part below with the spring bottom left, if I pull the housing away, will it clip back into something in the block when I put the housing back?
oil housing 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.