AFN Aux pulleys? PS squeal on full lock.

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

K2edg
B1
Passat model: B5 TDI

AFN Aux pulleys? PS squeal on full lock.

Post by K2edg »

Hi all.

So i've had a squealing noise on my 170,000 mile 99 B5 Tdi for quite a while now and frankly it's been driving me mad, i've fitted a new Alt pulley, new PS pump, new water pump, alignment checked, good used rack, all the lines, Gates Belt, OE AUX tensioner, the correct fluid (flushed thoroughly) and although it worked correcting initially the noise came back after 100 miles or so.

Yesterday i noticed the fan clutch bearing had seen better days (the bearing in the clutch it's self not the one in the engine alloy casting the assembly is bolted to) so i fitted a new one, while the belt was off i noticed it had chunks missing out of the V's and the bottom of the V looked polished as if it's worn out (remembering it's no more than 150 miles old) after looking at the pulleys the crank and ps pulley are well polished at the bottom of the V with bits of rubber fused to both pulleys so i cleaned them both up well and fitted another new belt...... less than 20 miles later the noise is starting to come back.

So my question is do the pulleys wear out?? i'm kinda hoping i've found the issue but i've never heard of multi rib pulleys wearing out like this? is it a thing on B5 Passats or is it just load on the PS pump causing it to slip?

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login