B5 Track rod end.......

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

K2edg
B1
Passat model: B5 TDI

B5 Track rod end.......

Post by K2edg »

Hi all.

Is there some form of anti damage damper built into the trackrod end? my last mot i had to replace one of mine (bit of play in the ball joint) so i bought a Delphi joint from my local parts supplier and stuck it on.......

3 months later i noticed a knocking noise coming from the front which was narrowed down to the new trackrod end, but instead of the ball joint being damaged/worn i noticed where the threaded bar goes into the casting (see picture) had become loose and could be moved in 5mm in and out of the cast body.

preview.jpg

So i took it back to the shop and was told it was a faulty item and replaced........ skip on to yesterday i noticed it's done it again? so took it back for the second time..... but this time i was told it's a built in damper that collapses when the wheel gets curbed or pot holed badly to save the rack from damage.

Now the way i see it i'm either being fed some BS story to get out of replacing the part for the second time or it's true although i don't recall hitting a hot hole etc or simply a poor quality part??

Which ever way i'm not using another Delphi track rod end but i just want to see if it is a known problem and what the solution is? can't say i've ever heard of designed in weak points in Track rod ends before........

Cheers.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login