CV joints off and lost drive...

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

sdfordy
B1
Passat model: B5.5

CV joints off and lost drive...

Post by sdfordy »

To cut a long story short i've been getting myself to replace the CV's on my 2003 1.8t .

So after stripping down the shaft etc i realise that the CV's i'd bought from Amazon aren't the right size. Basically bought ones for the Auto. So i put it all back together so the car can be used this week. Only problem being i couldn't get the bolt torqued up correctly as I only had a 3/8 hex head socket which my 1/2 in breaker bar managed to snap the reducer i was using so i got it as tight as possible so it could be used.

Took it for a test drive and after a few minutes .....pop.... follow by no drive.....and a grinding/chattering noise. Managed to get drive back temporarily to park it up round the corner from my house.

So what am i looking at ? stripped splines on the shaft or CV ? Broken gearbox ?

I've got a 1/2 14mm Hex head socket coming today so gonna try torquing the driveshaft bolt up first when i get in from work. Wishful thinking.

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login