Pinch bolts, I knew they were bad but not that bad

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

chriswilliams
B3
Passat model: b5

Pinch bolts, I knew they were bad but not that bad

Post by chriswilliams »

ImageIMG-20200223-WA0011 by Christian Williams, on Flickr

#-o

A picture speaks a thousand words. Now I've don't this job a few years ago, I had seen numerous complaints on forums about the upper pinch bolts on the passats/A4s so I wrapped strips of rags around the pinchs on the hub carrier and doused in plus gas over a few days. When I came to do the upper arms I had no issues, pinch bolts came out pretty easy and I thought what was all the fuss about?

But those were the iron hub carriers, I have recently acquired some ally uprights for some upcoming mods, same technique, wrapped the pinchbolt with rags and plus gassed over a few days, a good 3 hours plus this weekend to get them out, there would be no way if they were still on the car, what an bum of a job. Broken spanner, 2 broken wobble extensions and a knackered 1/2" wratchet, but they are out, one took more persuasion that the other...

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login