Cam belt slipped?

From engines to interiors , have you a question or can you help, ask and answer here !

Moderators: water01, vwnutant, desertstorm

Rob Reznik

Cam belt slipped?

Post by Rob Reznik »

Hi - new to the forum but have had a few tdi's in the past - usually able to sort problems but would like to ask a question here.

I have an 02 130 tdi - 155000 miles - had the cam belt changed about 2000 miles ago and did a journey of 220 miles last week - after about 150 miles i noticed a gradual loss of power and some grey smoke in the rear wheel view mirror - nursed the car the last 70 miles.

Current symptoms are low power - noisier engine and blowing back slightly through the air filter - I'm thinking the belt has slipped and maybe bent an inlet valve - does anyone here have any alternative thoughts on what could have gone wrong? The car has been 100% reliable up to now but I'm considering scrapping it before throwing money and time at it.

Do I need to remove the front bumper/rad etc to check the marks or is there an easier way? if the belt has slipped why? I'm confused as it has teeth and, after fetching the top cover off, the tension is really good.

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login